AH Supply: 55w Strip Light Kit DIY Build/Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Limpet

Aquarium Advice Addict
Step 1. Choosing The Right Light

I saw this kit discussed in a couple of threads here at AA and decided after visiting AH Supply's website, it was the right lighting for my 37 gallon tall, planted display tank.

Here's what I installed;

1 - P/N - 30551SL - 1 x 55 watt Strip Light Kit,

1 - P/N - 11556 - 55 Watt 6700K Compact Bulb

The three reasons I chose this kit were important to me:

1.) I don't like the "leggy" open lights so popular today as the light bleed and reflection off the aquariums glass top is very intrusive. I wanted to maintain the clean look the aquarium kits original light hood presented (sans junky electronics), as our DT is a prominent feature in our living room.

2.) I'm a big DIY fan and since the 37g kits junky light was essentially free (75% off the aquarium kit at PetSmart) and collecting dust in my closet, I figure "why not"?

3.) Last and most important reason, cost. For approximately $70.00 (including bulb & shipping) I was getting a quality compact florescent bulb and IMHO, their sound theory and design claiming a 162% light output into the tank for their product sold me. I'm getting an estimated 89 watts ((55x0.62=34.1)+55=89.1), with a CF bulb sporting an estimated life span of 2+ years and no cathode decay that normal florescent tubes experience.

Http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

Step 2. Get It Ordered:

The website was easy to navigate, informative and ordering was easy. My kit shipped the next day via FedEx ground and the shipping costs were reasonable. They use ground service and it took some time to arrive (6 days), but overall a reasonable time frame.

Step 3.) Getting To Work:

The first thing I notice was the excellent packing they used. Some members here at AA have complained (repeatedly?) about receiving broken products, or the wrong order all together from other suppliers and I was thankful to be spared the headache.

As you can see, their liberal use of stickers indicating fragile contents paid off.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110325_052039.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_052039.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 213
  • ForumRunner_20110325_052057.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_052057.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 183
  • ForumRunner_20110325_052215.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_052215.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 199
Step 3.1.) Getting To Work:

With the comprehensive parts list, I was able to ID each part and it's function, so there was no question of getting half way through the build and finding an essential part missing. I recommend always making this the first step in any project like this.

(For some reason my droid camera didn't save the parts pic, but go to the website if you want to see what they send.)

Pulling the guts from the shell of my light strip was a snap, 4 screws, clipping the wire to the switch (to use with kit )and removal of the power cord took all of 5 minutes.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110325_053453.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_053453.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 213
Step 3.2.) Getting To Work:

I wanted the ballast mounted on the hood, since whenever preforming any PWC, maintenance, rescaping, etc., I prefer to have the light out of my way. The instructions give detailed point by point steps and links to pics on their website which is helpful, since no wiring diagram is supplied.

Mounting the ballast near the center was necessary, since I have two HOB filters at either end of the tank. The cord and switch were relocated to one end of the hood for the same issue. Since the hood is longer than the reflector, some wiring connections are exposed, but hidden under the hood (fixit plan is in the works).

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110325_053947.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_053947.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 191
  • ForumRunner_20110325_054031.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_054031.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 178
Step 3.3.) Getting To Work:

Assembly is straight forward, although I chose to make some of my own modifications to suit my needs and expectations. Such as soldering some connections and heat shrink tubing at critical points. (Pics 1-4)

I did have to modify the hood a bit, as 2 screw towers for mounting the original reflector were causing the new one a fair amount of distortion. (Pic 5)

The only serious issue I have with their design is the bulb plugs into an unsupported socket (fixit undecided).

PS Pic 6 shows mods for mounting ballast (use for reference in step 3.2)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110325_055258.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_055258.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 180
  • ForumRunner_20110325_055318.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_055318.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 177
  • ForumRunner_20110325_055406.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_055406.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 169
  • ForumRunner_20110325_055535.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_055535.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 165
  • ForumRunner_20110325_055732.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_055732.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 165
  • ForumRunner_20110325_055801.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_055801.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 175
Final thoughts:

Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase and given the variety of light hoods on the market they've developed a quality kit that anybody handy with basic tools and has a DIY attitude can easily convert their light.

Pros:
Well built product, quality materials, good design
Easy ordering, good packaging, reasonable shipping costs
Good instructions (overall)

Cons:
No customer service/tech support regarding product questions except by email (2-3 day response time)
No FAQ page on website
No wiring diagram with instructions (a must in my book)
Floating socket

The only question I asked myself. Would I do it again? Heck yes, since I have 2 more junky kit light strips waiting in the wings.

Pic 1/Final product. Pic 2/Before. Pic 3/After

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110325_063029.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_063029.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 207
  • ForumRunner_20110325_063048.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_063048.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 211
  • ForumRunner_20110325_063109.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_063109.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 213
Nice work! (y) You can definitely tell there's a difference in the lighting. I can't wait to see how your plants do w/ the upgrade! You will definitely need to post pics of them in a few weeks.

McLumpy said:
Nice work! (y) You can definitely tell there's a difference in the lighting. I can't wait to see how your plants do w/ the upgrade! You will definitely need to post pics of them in a few weeks.

Yes, it's amazing the difference I see in the 2 lights.

Our Moors just laid eggs and in the process tore up the tank lol. I have a thread in the breeding section with pics of the eggs on moss balls. I have to put everything on hold till I get that set up and settled. My daughter is so excited. hehehe :D

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Yes, it's amazing the difference I see in the 2 lights.

Our Moors just laid eggs and in the process tore up the tank lol. I have a thread in the breeding section with pics of the eggs on moss balls. I have to put everything on hold till I get that set up and settled. My daughter is so excited. hehehe :D

Very cool! I'll check out the pics. :D

My new light fixture is really showing its stuff. A few anachris have grown 6"+ since I put it on my DT. That's the kind of signs I was hoping to see.

Quite a few plants are out due to the egging my Moors went thru. Should be able to get then back in next week though and see more results.

The light is running great, but I'm ready to make a couple up grades to this already. One being a cooling fan and incorporating a couple of LED moonlights.

The light is running great, but I'm ready to make a couple up grades to this already. One being a cooling fan and incorporating a couple of LED moonlights.

Moonlights would be a cool addition! As far as a cooling fan, IIRC, Big Al's sells some that you can attach to the top of the fixture.

How are your plants doing under the new lights?

McLumpy said:
Moonlights would be a cool addition! As far as a cooling fan, IIRC, Big Al's sells some that you can attach to the top of the fixture.

How are your plants doing under the new lights?

Yeah, I want to try them out see what it's like. Great tip on the cooling fans McLumpy, I'll check them out. Thanks!

Plants (tank too) are in shreads after the breeding frenzy that they had, so some are in with the fry and some are being rehomed to the Betta tank I'm in the middle of aqua-scaping. I have a build thread if you wnt to check it out.

Yeah, I want to try them out see what it's like. Great tip on the cooling fans, McLumpy I'll check them out. Thanks!

Plants (tank too) are in shreads after the breeding frenzy that they had, so some are in with the fry and some are being rehomed to the Betta tank I'm in the middle of aqua-scaping.

You're welcome! :D Oh yeah, I completely spaced that "rumble" you had in your tank. lol It sounds like you have your hands full w/ taking care of your fry, plants, and fixing up your tank again. I hope your female is doing better!

McLumpy said:
You're welcome! :D Oh yeah, I completely spaced that "rumble" you had in your tank. lol It sounds like you have your hands full w/ taking care of your fry, plants, and fixing up your tank again. I hope your female is doing better!

Top fin healed so quick, I forgot about lol.

I just wanted to add that I have the 4x 55w kit that I bought 3 or 4 years ago and it still runs like a champ. I highly recommend these to anyone wanting to upgrade their lighting. They are pretty simple to put together as long as you have common sense.

Back
Top Bottom