Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-25-2016, 11:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
air bubble volcano

Well after 3 or 4 years I am back. You gave such good advice before that my tank still has a lot of the original fish.

SO, I have come back for more advice...

My son can make a miniature (2"h) volcano with aquastik as well as paint it. He also plans to renovate other decor that are worn.

Question 1: What non toxic paint is safe for fish? We have used an acrylic but not sure if we have missed something. Also is there a sealant we can put over the paint?

Question 2: I would love to create the volcano to work like those air bubble divers. I cannot find the very small hoses like those on boughten ornaments. I also do not know the correct connectors(?), or other bits to connect to a pump.

I am a total novice at this but have been unable to find what I wanted so figured we could make it instead.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

fanaticbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Sounds like a fun project. I don't know how small the tubes you are talking about are but maybe you could use something like the ink tube from a pen. Or possibly the plastic from used lollipops which I'd probably Leeds toxic than ink tubes. Build them into the sculpture so you can tube air into a cavity. Have the tubes at the top so air naturally bubbles up. I inspected a boat sculpture and this was the basic design it used to blow air bubbles through the mouth of a skeleton in a rowboat. I can't help you with ideas for paint but I'm sure someone will have knowledge to share soon.

Alan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I actually just made one myself! My volcano is a bit larger, about 4 inches high. I used a straw, poked some holes with a tiny screwdriver, melted the end shut, and attached it to the tube of a small air pump.
andrewcook95 is offline   Reply With Quote

air, air bubble, bubble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com