air bubble volcano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fanaticbooks

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well after 3 or 4 years I am back. You gave such good advice before that my tank still has a lot of the original fish.

SO, I have come back for more advice...

My son can make a miniature (2"h) volcano with aquastik as well as paint it. He also plans to renovate other decor that are worn.

Question 1: What non toxic paint is safe for fish? We have used an acrylic but not sure if we have missed something. Also is there a sealant we can put over the paint?

Question 2: I would love to create the volcano to work like those air bubble divers. I cannot find the very small hoses like those on boughten ornaments. I also do not know the correct connectors(?), or other bits to connect to a pump.

I am a total novice at this but have been unable to find what I wanted so figured we could make it instead.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like a fun project. I don't know how small the tubes you are talking about are but maybe you could use something like the ink tube from a pen. Or possibly the plastic from used lollipops which I'd probably Leeds toxic than ink tubes. Build them into the sculpture so you can tube air into a cavity. Have the tubes at the top so air naturally bubbles up. I inspected a boat sculpture and this was the basic design it used to blow air bubbles through the mouth of a skeleton in a rowboat. I can't help you with ideas for paint but I'm sure someone will have knowledge to share soon.

I actually just made one myself! My volcano is a bit larger, about 4 inches high. I used a straw, poked some holes with a tiny screwdriver, melted the end shut, and attached it to the tube of a small air pump.

Back
Top Bottom