Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Algae Scrubber Basics Summary Part 1: Page 10 of 10

I donít recommend enclosing CFLs in glass jars. IMO, it is difficult to allow for adequate air convection with such an arrangement. I donít recommend using plastic bottles either. CFLs get hot; you canít touch them when theyíre on. If the lamp gets in contact with the plastic, it could melt.

End of Summary #1

As mentioned at the start of this summary, I will write up ďPart 2Ē which will cover various troubleshooting pointers, enclosed boxes, growth types, customizing to your specific system, overflow protection, increasing flow, operation, maintenance, cleaning, etc

If you have any suggestions or corrections, please post them or shoot me a PM and I will note them for future summary posts.

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very nice right up...
I LOVE my scrubber ,,been running one since March and nothing else

I'm going to go get some beaded cable ,,great tip,,thanks

FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great! Post some pics, this thread is all about helping others by example.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tank I run the scrubber on (it's the T5HO one with the black acrylic and TEK-II reflectors in Page 7) runs only a scrubber. This tank is a customer's system, a 125 acrylic tank that formed a crack in the bottom panel because the stand was poorly constructed. I moved everything to my personal 120 and I currently run it sumpless with the scrubber sitting on top of the tank, kind of a ghetto job at this point. Their new tank will be a Miracles rimless 120 w/starphire front, notched end, external overflow w/BeanAnimal 3-pipe system, and scrubber on the sump.

On their original tank, it ran a skimmer and 2 filter socks from the point I took it over (about December 2009) until October 2010 when I built and installed the first scrubber, which I replaced in January 2011 with the current one. The coral growth is very good, plenty enough that I'm running out of room to put new stuff. N=0 and P hovers between 0.09 and 0.16, because of Nitrate limitation. Since algae sucks up N and P at different rates (about 7-14 parts P to 1 part N) and there's so much LR in the system (over 250 lb) the N stays a zero (on Salifert, looking through the side, clear as day every time) so P bottoms out at 0.09. My next step is to add N to the system to see if the P will drop, but I'm hesitant to do so, since everything does great as is.

Since getting the scrubber up and running on their system, I have done only 4 PWCs, a 20% a couple weeks after the scrubber went online, a 30% when I was trying to figure out an issue with some LPS corals (and it didn't make a difference), and 2 33% changes when I moved the entire system (which I had to actually do twice, after an issue with my DIY stand). The scrubber was 'down' for a week after the move (screens hanging in tank to keep the algae alive) and P went up to 0.63 and N to about 5, within 2 days of the scrubber running again they were both back down to 0.09 and 0, respectively. I feed a high-quality DIY food that supplies all the trace I need and dose Alk, Cal, and Mg as needed (Alk on a doser).

Regarding the skimmer vs. scrubber issue, I steer away from this debate. It's been hashed out before and it always ends with a flame war it seems. There's plenty of information for anyone who wants to read up on that. I currently use them on 2 other tanks I maintain, but as soon as the scrubbers go online they will be removed.

Here are some pictures of the tank as currently set up:

FTS

Left Side

Front Left

Center

Old 08-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Front Right

Right End

Recently added Purple Plate: this is right after added - it spreads out big time and extends upward all day long

And Sun Coral (NPS) that is never target fed

Old 08-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

The scrubber had the supply pump inside a basket I made from PVC and plastic canvas

and I removed one of the drains and rigged up a 1L pop bottle with some bio-balls to keep the water exiting out of the scrubber from crashing down and making all kinds of bubbles in the system. It also runs very quiet (closed bottom boxes with drains tend to be loud)

This is what the screen looks like at 7 days

Rinsed

Algae removed, rinsed, and drained (squeezed)

Old 08-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

The pics of the tank were taken after I turned the lights back on...so not everything was showing well.

Here is a video of the tank during the peak lighting hours

‪120 Reef 2011-07-18‬‏ - YouTube
And a 3-part video of a cleaning of the scrubber. My YouTube channel has many other tank tour videos and screen cleaning videos also.

‪120 Reef Algae Scrubber Screen Growth 2011-07-21 1/3‬‏ - YouTube

‪120 Reef Algae Scrubber Screen Growth 2011-07-21 2/3‬‏ - YouTube

‪120 Reef Algae Scrubber Screen Growth 2011-07-21 3/3‬‏ - YouTube
Old 08-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Heres my screen ...i cleaned it 2 days ago
its 12x12
I'll get another one up in a couple days
Old 08-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

How much flow do you have? It looks like there's a heavy flow section on the right side and not much in the middle.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
How much flow do you have? It looks like there's a heavy flow section on the right side and not much in the middle.
I think i'm getting about 300 GPH...my overflow has 2 outs,but i don't have them T'ed off so only one goes to the screen..Think maybe i should T it off?The middle definitely doesn't get as much as the end..

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com