Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

I should also note that the algae scrubber works on freshwater tanks also. The algae is a little different, generally thinner strands and doesn't tend to get thick and bushy like marine algae, but the concept and application are generally the same.

It also works for planted tanks, but you are playing the game of balancing the algae scrubber against the plants, which are also a scrubber of sorts. Not many people run a scrubber on a planted tank. I would think the ones that would be most open to it would be a heavily fish stocked and fed tank.

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you very much for your help! I have ordered two 10w flood lights that are rated between 625-650nm. They are not the RGB ones and are just 10w of red. They were only $20 each so I figured it was worth a go, I will let you know the results.

Cheers.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great! Got a link?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo
Great! Got a link?
Item # 60338994080 if you search the number in eBay you can see it, I selected the red one obviously.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
I should also note that the algae scrubber works on freshwater tanks also. The algae is a little different, generally thinner strands and doesn't tend to get thick and bushy like marine algae, but the concept and application are generally the same.

It also works for planted tanks, but you are playing the game of balancing the algae scrubber against the plants, which are also a scrubber of sorts. Not many people run a scrubber on a planted tank. I would think the ones that would be most open to it would be a heavily fish stocked and fed tank.
Thats me! No plants in my display tank or sump since the current is too strong. Algae will get its own flow from in-sump pump. My fish is producing a lot of waste for a 3" fahaka.

If i do 50% water change every week, then the algae should grow slowly. Im expecting to get a full load of algae once per month.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

This was posted on another site and I felt it was worth sharing. It is an alternative to the slotted pipe (he admits it's "experimental") and also an expansion on the saran wrap idea - quite a good one also.

Quote:
I've been unhappy with the slot design on my scrubber. It's always been a bit finicky and prone to getting growth up in it. After I switched to Herbie style drains, that meant that it would throw off the balance of the drains and send water down the backup drains as the algae grew. I tried several light blocking schemes, but they didn't seem to fix the problem. Since the slot would get gummed up after a week or so, I could never let the scrubber really grow to the "3D" stage.

The current solution to the problem, which I have only run now for two weeks, so it is still "experimental", does away with the slot altogether. To hang the screen, I made a "loop" of plastic canvas, and stitched that to the top of the screen with braided fishing line. The screen then hangs from the pipe by the loop, and the pipe just slides into the loop. No need for zip ties or curtain rings to hold a screen in a slot. For flow, I drilled a 3/16" hole every 1/2" along the pipe. The holes point down. The water flows out of the holes into the area where the loop joins the screen, then through the holes in the plastic canvas loop and down either side of the screen. The flow is very even along the screen.

For reference, the scrubber box is roughly 20" long by 10" high. I added an extension to the box so the pipe actually sits up above the box by an inch. The pipe is 3/4", about 20" long. Flow comes in from both ends. Roughly 800-900 gph of total flow. There are two screens, each roughly 10" by 10". The scrubber is LED lit. See one of my other threads for details on the LEDs.

Have a look at the pictures. Maybe that will help my explanation...

I did get some spray where the loop joined the screen, since the pipe sits above the box, that would have killed the solution, but then something Floyd mentioned in one of his posts caught my attention... Saranwrap. I laid a piece of Saranwrap over the loop and stopped the spray immediately. The drag created by the flow pulls the plastic wrap right down to the screen, but it doesn't stop the flow, it just evens it out a bit. Then, I wondered if a piece of thin plastic from a black plastic garbage bag would do the job, since it would also be a great light blocker as well. I tried it and it worked like a charm.

I'm extremely pleased with how the new setup is working-- no spray, no growth into the slot messing up the flow, perfectly even flow across the screen. I let it go for two weeks and just about filled up the box with algae.

If you are having trouble with the slot-- cutting it, getting it the right width, keeping it clean, etc., give some thought to trying this system. Even if you stick with the slot, try the garbage bag light blocker, I think you'll be pleased with what it does for evening the flow.

Pic1-- screen hanging from the pipe by the loop
Pic2-- the pipe with the holes
Pic3-- screen hanging in the box
Pic4-- with the black plastic as a spray guard

Note on the screen on the left side in Pic2-- this is a new screen, but I stitched pieces of an old screen to it to seed it. I'll let it run this way for another couple weeks, then take the old pieces off.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only add-on I have for this is that some kind of step should be taken to keep the black plastic (or saran wrap for that matter) in place no matter what. Something dislodging that piece of material, say after a power outage where it dried out or something like that, would be a total disaster. I follow Murphy's Law when it comes to these things!!
Old 05-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Maybe someone can help me with my scrubber . At the end of the slot I get air bursts pushing out causing a rather annoying noise. Anyone have a remedy for this issue? A member here said maybe a small hole in the top of the pipe to let the air out. Thanks
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

You wouldn't want to put a hole in the pipe, that would just cause water to spray all over the place out of the hole i would think

I would think that air bursts indicate that the pipe is not getting enough pressure. Is this pump fed or via overflow?

How wide is your slot?

If the pipe isn't full of water, then you probably either made the slot too wide, or you don't have enough flow. What happens in either case is that the water will cover only part of the screen and will tend to "arc" at the water inlet side of the screen and miss the first few inches at the bottom. This is more noticeable on a brand new screen, less so on a mature screen. Then the water all drains out of the slot before it reaches the end of the screen. This leaves an area for air to collect in the end, and occasionally it fills with water (usually more toward the end of the growth cycle) and then a little pressure builds up and it 'burps' out. Is this what you're talking about?

If you have more flow (or a narrower screen) then the slot tube should stay full of water, and any air that gets into the pipe (overflow fed particularly) will stay mixed in with the water and flow down the screen smoothly.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also for anyone interested, there is a new method that is currently being tested, it works a lot better for sumpless tanks

Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com