Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek View Post
Is this better? There is one on each side. Thanks sooo much Floyd .
Better than it was. Since your screen is really down in the sump, that makes it a little tricky to light it properly. You really want the light closer, like 3 or 4 inches, basically as close as you can get without burning the algae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance View Post
Smaller is better, but not too small. Right? 1 cube is 12sq inches. Ok to do 10 or perhaps even 8sq inches per cube? (not crazy small like 2 or 4 sq inches).
You can technically go as small as you want, and for some nanos, this works well. But if you have the space for it, I would go 12sq in minimum

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok thanks floyd . The whole screen is green and growing daily . I might add another light per side I'm just seeing how it grows and will readjust if needed .

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't understand the amount of LED needed for one 12sq inch screen, lite on both side for 1 cube of feeding (120g with 40g sump FW system). There is also something written about cooling fans + LED. Why is it important for LED?

How do I build a LED for my unit? The screen will be around 3x4inches. The choices of stock lighting seems limited due to my small screen, so I'd thought I could build one. The ATS will be located under my stand, hanging above my sump. I read something about moisture damage. I do not think I will have that problem since my stand has an open back.

I have been looking up "led grow lamp 660".

Edit: do you happen to know the best way to make a ATS that could be removed if needed? I think this guy's ATS is ideal, but wanted to know if there is a better way to do it easily: http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/38...algae-scrubber (scroll down to his last few posts)

EDIT: I found your main stomping ground at AS.net. I understand now. I'll try to test around with different LED lights.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have been seriously considering building a scrubber recently but really don't know where to start.

If I can get rid of my skimmer, I will have more than enough room if I make a system that has its own pump feeding the screen. I'm worried about having the drain get clogged and causing my system to overflow which is why I was thinking about a self contained system.

I'm pretty sure I would only be able to have light on one side. From what I'm reading, I would need a screen the size of about 4x6" since I'm only lighting one side. I will be using 6500 temp bulb with a cheap reflector.

Any ideas on the pump to use? I've seen a setup where they used a pump to feed water into a PVC pipe stand shaped like an upside down U with feet. The screen would sit in the middle. I have no idea what kind of pump to use. I know 35 GPH but that seems really low. I think my drain right now is 600 GPM (it is a 1 1/4" drain).

The other idea is to have a split drain with ball valved to adjust the flow into the sump but that just complicates things. With a split drain I can limit the flow down the screen and have a split before or after the screen for the rest of the water.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I didn't see before that it was 35gph per inch of width. That makes more sense.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

For a 6" wide screen I would use the Eheim Compact 1000 pump, $33 on BRS or Marine Depot. I recently tested that and the Cobalt MJ-1200, at 13" of head the Eheim puts out ~200-205 GPH, Cobalt about 180-185.

As far as feeding from the drain and splitting it, you can do that but you're right it's a pain, plus you would really want some kind of secondary bypass protection in case a snail or something made it to the slot pipe and clogged it, and 2 valves, one for tuning the flow to the scrubber and one to shut the flow off during maintenance (so you wouldn't have to find that sweet spot of flow every time)

I like the Eheim pump because it is cool and quiet.

Not sure what you're talking about with the upside down U PVC pipe, are you talking about the slot pipe? See the summary in this thread starting with Post #33, if you haven't already read it...
Old 08-10-2012, 01:50 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is this scrubber doing well?? Made it about 3 weeks ago and changed the screen to be more roughed up about 2.5 weeks. First cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-749988031.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	111657   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-710985943.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	111658  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-950151754.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	111659  
Old 08-10-2012, 02:04 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice growth for a couple of weeks!

In the 3rd pic it looks like you had a couple of large sections that detached from the screen. I'm guessing that this is before you roughed it up? Also, the growth looks pretty thick and heavy, which is good for scrubbing but that much growth blocks the light to the lower layers, causing the roots to die and this may have been what led to detachment. This also leads to yellow water. So you definitely need to clean every 7 days. You could go longer if the screen was in a box that allowed for 3D growth, or possibly if you draped the screen in saran wrap.

What did you use to rough up the screen, and are these pics after that or before?

When the holes are filled in, and algae stays in them when you scrape it, then it's mature. If not, be careful how well you clean it - you want to leave the algae in the holes. Don't use a sprayer to clean it, just scrape and rinse under room temp tap water and scrub the edge that goes in the slot (as clean as you can get it) as well as the slot itself...if you didn't know that already (or anyone else is wondering about that)
Old 08-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's after. I think it fell off because it got too thick. I will scrape every 7 days but I didn't know that before so it probably caused roots to die.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm going to make one of my remote refuge that is gravity feed from tank to refuge to ALGEA scrubber but I'll use a huge PVC tube cut in like half with the screen suspended like a half inch off the surface (depending on running level) and that way no addition pumps are needed will polish water as it comes outa the refuge also
Old 08-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why do you always spell algae ALGEA in caps?? Kinda weird to ask here but I find it funny haha. Your plan sounds good.

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com