Algae turf scrubber.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partypalooza5

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone have one? If so, is it effective? I made one out of a bucket, a light bulb, and a Lego base board. I have a massive hair algae problem and I'm thinking it has to be phosphates seeing as the nitrates are around 15-20.

No experience with the turf scrubbers... but why if your nitrates are at 15-20 do you NOT think it's the nitrates?

It's not unheard of to have 0.0 nitrates during an algae problem because the algae is sucking it up as fast as its being put in. So if you're having an algae problem AND your nitrates are 15-20, just think what they'd be if you weren't having an algae problem!

I'd find the source of the problem and squash it from there.

No experience with the turf scrubbers... but why if your nitrates are at 15-20 do you NOT think it's the nitrates?

It's not unheard of to have 0.0 nitrates during an algae problem because the algae is sucking it up as fast as its being put in. So if you're having an algae problem AND your nitrates are 15-20, just think what they'd be if you weren't having an algae problem!

I'd find the source of the problem and squash it from there.

Ah, I thought the "safe" level was <30. I'm guessing that's safe for fish? So any nitrate in the system is fuel for algae? I know there's probably a phosphate problem too, but I don't have a test kit for it. I was thinking about making a scrubber because it's basically a place that allows all the algae to grow OUTSIDE the display tank. It also removes stuff from the water (nitrate and such) while leaving little algae in the display.

Farmers use nitrates as fertilizers.

When the nitrates hit 20ppm in my FW tanks, thats when I do a PWC.

A lot of salt guys incoporate a scrubber like you've described into their sumps. They use a macro algae. Moss would work in a FW tank.

A turf scrubber will work for freshwater as well as salt. You should use a translucent/transparent material for better results. Thick plastic mesh, or even a clear light diffuser (as long as it has a rough surface for the turf to grab to)

Back
Top Bottom