Here was the screen on 12/14 before cleaning
On par with the last couple. However, here is was this week on 12/21 before cleaning
The things I noticed were that the water was mainly flowing out at the far end of the tube, and there was a squirting noise from that area. I replaced the zip-ties on 12/14 and probably didn't scrub the top inch of the screen quite as good as I usually do, and I cinched the zip-ties down pretty tight. I think that had something to do with it. You can see that the growth is great at the end of the screen where it gets the most flow.
Also, the feeding probably wasn't as aggressive, as the Arcti-pods
and Oyster feast ran out about 2 weeks ago. I have been dosing quite a bit of Kent Iron, to the tune of 15 mL 2x a week. Also, over the last week, I added a 300 mg
bottle of Seachem Magnesium, a little bit of Seachem Iodide (only about 10 mL one time), and most of a bottle of Seachem Strontium (it was 0 - now it's MAYBE 3 ppm
). That was on top of the normal Alk
When I cleaned the screen this time, I made sure the top inch was clean, and did some extra scrubbing of the tube slot. I also didn't cinch the zip-ties down quite so hard, thought I fail to see how the tightness of those would make any difference. The flow seemed to be more like it was before. Time will tell. I'll have to pop in over the holiday weekend and feed 'em good.