Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2011, 10:30 PM   #111
Aquarium Advice Addict

ATS Reloaded

Here's pics of the second version

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #112
Aquarium Advice Addict

It does cut down on the excess light by about 50%, I might still add some more light blocking pieces when I get a chance. I only screwed up one part, getting the box in and out of the frame is rather a tight fit, I had to flip the one drain so that the shorter section was also on the outside. I also forgot to account for the fact that the slot pipe is sitting on top of the box, so when I have to take the box out I have to disconnect the screen first and remove the pipe before I can get the box out. Oops. I figured out how to get it in the frame with the screen partially in the box. It's not perfect. But a vast improvement. I also replaced the lamps and siliconed the lamp holders where the wiring goes in. The reflectors were getting some corrosion so I replaced them, going to use the old ones on the next tank (they cleaned up OK).

The bottom 2" of the screen is fully submerged all the time. I installed it on Saturday and went to check on it today, I am already getting 3D growth on the submerged section of the screen. I just cleaned the screen on Thursday so I was surprised to see that right away.

Gotta run, more later this week!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #113
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Floyd, I got mine running and it is working good. What do you do about sideways spray? Do you have full length acrylic shields or is there another trick. I am getting salt creep all over my flood bulbs.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, if you do you have acrylic shielding the lamps then you need to install a spray blocker. I found a sheet of black rigid plastic at a local hobby store for about $2. It looks like this

You can cut it with a scissors and punch holes in it, then thread your zip-ties that hold your screen in the slot through the holes. I was going to do this then found out I don't need to.

PS this will also help keep algae from growing into the slot, which will cause even more spray.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #115
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the tip
Old 01-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #116
Aquarium Advice Addict

I took this pic today (Tuesday), just 3 days after installation of the new box. I also should note that I replaced the lamps at the same time (they were 3 months old) but the growth, even from Sunday when I checked on it. It's a little hard to see, I had to turn the reflectors to get a look at the screen, but the entire bottom 2" that is submerged has filled out to the box with algae, and the middle section of the screen (out of the water) has filled out to the box also.

The owner also commented that the corals were much more open yesterday than they were before.

It's a little early to tell, but I would have to say that if you're going to build one of these and really want it to be the most effective, this is the way to go. There will definitely be pics taken from the next cleaning on Thursday or Friday.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #117
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why change te bulbs. Don't old bulbs encourage algae?

Great project.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #118
Aquarium Advice Addict

In your aquarium, yes. On ATS, no. Growth drops off after 3 months. Standard practice is to replace all lamps every 3 months. Good thing I found a place that has them for $4 each.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So are you running a skimmer, GFO, carbon, De nitrite, phosban filter media or any other type of mechanical or chemical cleaning stuff?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #120
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nothing else except the ATS.

Tags
algae, build, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com