Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #151
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, I think so too. In case you didn't see it, I put together a DIY summary here:

Algae Scrubber Basics

and started up one of these on a bunch of other sites.

CFLs are generally spotty because of the nature of the lamp shape, but mounting them sideways with a good reflector will get you a very long way to even coverage, which is the main issue.

Also I have variances in growth. In the above thread link, I had massive thick green growth for 3 weeks, and now I'm getting more brown slimy growth and a dino outbreak, which I had once before and it eventually went away. So I'm watching it closely to see what's going on (I had let the lamps go almost 4 months).

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #152
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Yes, I think so too. In case you didn't see it, I put together a DIY summary here:

Algae Scrubber Basics

and started up one of these on a bunch of other sites.

CFLs are generally spotty because of the nature of the lamp shape, but mounting them sideways with a good reflector will get you a very long way to even coverage, which is the main issue.

Also I have variances in growth. In the above thread link, I had massive thick green growth for 3 weeks, and now I'm getting more brown slimy growth and a dino outbreak, which I had once before and it eventually went away. So I'm watching it closely to see what's going on (I had let the lamps go almost 4 months).
Wow,,i'll go through all that later,,but good job putting that together..

Good point on the lights..I think mine are actually 3+ months old...
I get the brown slime sometimes too..i think the key there is to remove it ASAP...which i try to do

Pretty sure i've seen your vids on youtube too,,,very nice

FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #153
Aquarium Advice Addict

The brown slime is generally nothing to worry about, I get it too. That's diatom growth, which is the quickest algae to grow and is really always there. It's when you get the black (or really, really dark) slimy growth that you have to clean it of every 3 days, because it effectively blocks light to the lower layers and leads to detachment from the screen. You can tell if this is the case because you will get bald patches.

Black slime should eventually go away when the nutrients in the system are sufficiently reduced. If you're getting it consistently, then you need more light and probably more flow. If you want to post pic and a description of your system and screen (right before cleaning) then I might be able to give you a pointer or two. Post it on the summary thread.

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, build, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com