Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's the progress since Tuesday, I cut out a few notches in the tube to let a little more water thru, it made a little difference, but I still cannot open up the pump valve all the way - which is probably fine.

After much confusion on the shipping date, the seed screen showed up today from Inland Aquatics. I found out that I actually didn't need it in the first place, but found out too late, so oh well.

Here's the screen yesterday (Thursday 10/14, 4 full days)

Here it is today (Friday 10/15, 5 full days)

And with the seed screen added

The microbubbles seem to be not quite so prevalent anymore. I'm thinking that the screen is "slime-ing up" and as more algae grows, it may not be that big of an issue. However, I will probably add a bio-ball section around the ATS outflow. I have been informed that those will not stop the baby copepods.

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Nice write up. I'll be curious to see how well it does over the long haul.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
Looks awesome, and from reading I might make one myself with a 5-10gallon tank when I get to start up my tank.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're interested, read that 1300+ post thread and then look at as much as you can on the Algae Scrubber site. It's important to understand the idea so you know how to do it right.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:21 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
Been doing that the last two days. hahahaha
Old 10-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

it took me over a week, picking away at it.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Update

Here's an update on the ATS.

Picture from 10/16

And 10/18, before cleaning

And After

Then 10/19

and some close-ups of the tube slot, which looks like it is clogging a bit

...so yesterday I extended the cut-outs along the edge of the slot ever so slightly to allow a little more water flow. After I raised the sump level, I got a bit more flow going over the spillway. My goal here is to get the flow even and maximum across the screen. This may take some toying with to get it tuned in right.

I also was able to look at the screen at the insertion point, and it wasn't as bad as I thought. On his site, SantaMonica told me I didn't need the light blocker but really never explained why. I'm thinking it would be good to have, so I'm going to try it, but only after the seed screen can be removed. Right now it's in the way. I was told I didn't really need that either but since I have it, I'll use it - and I'll use it on another system also.

I got the go-ahead to do an ATS on the 200 FOWLR that I also maintain, that one will be much larger - probably 36" wide screen and 48" lights in a similar enclosure sitting on top of a 40 long, because it doesn't have a center brace (40L's are hard to find, but I found one on CL)

Another comment, since I took off the skimmer, Nitrates went up slightly to about 0.5 ppm. Before the first screen cleaning, they went to zero on Salifert kit...and Phosphates are already dropping (from 0.25 down to 0.03-0.10). I have never seen zero phosphates in this tank (even with 250mL Rowaphos) so I will be interested to see when that will happen.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looks good!
Old 10-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, I definitely need a SW tank mentor/tutor, b/c I just read this whole thread and I didn't understand or know anything about half the stuff you were saying Floyd, man I need something lol, but luckily I'm not doing reefs yet, although I now have a very small peice, about the size of less than half of your pinky, so it's pretty small lol, and may not even be alive but thats the reason my LFS guy just gave it to me, he said it was dead, and either thats true, or he was hooking me up nice, and he did a lot of that that day... Thanks for being patient!
Old 10-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
The algae filters all toxins out of the water (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, silicate, heavy metals, etc) and leaves everything in the water that you coral find beneficial. This is the way the ocean performs it's own natural filtration - with algae.
Correction here (because I can't edit that post anymore) an ATS doesn't remove silicates.

I did find out that when you are running an ATS on your system, the algae will produce:

Vitamins:

Vitamin A
Vitamin E
Vitamin B6
Beta Carotene
Riboflavin
Thiamine
Biotin
Ascorbate (breaks chloramines into chlorine+ammonia)
N5-Methyltetrahydrofolate
Other tetrahydrofolate polyglutamates
Oxidized folate monoglutamates
Nicotinate
Pantothenate

Amino Acids:

Alanine
Aspartic acid
Leucine
Valine
Tyrosine
Phenylalanine
Methionine
Aspartate
Glutamate
Serine
Proline

Carbohydrates (sugars):

Galactose
Glucose
Maltose
Xylose

Misc:

Glycolic Acid
Citric Acid (breaks chloramines into chlorine+ammonia)
Nucleic Acid derivatives
Polypeptides
Proteins
Enzymes
Lipids

(copied from a post on Reef Sanctuary thread)

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...tml#post871008

Tags
algae, build, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com