Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok Floyd, what kind of algae is this that does all this? B/c if I put a screen in my tank and grew algae on it, then put it in my filter where the cartridge usually goes... would it do the same things? B/c I've heard that if you drop some peices of LR in the filter and leave the filter(just the meshy part) it actually would do better... So could I do the algae screen thing? would it work the same way?

Old 10-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

if it doesn't get light in the filter it would die and cause problems but with all those vitamins and what not it sounds like it would be good on a sandwich.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:18 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hahaha!!! ROFL! yeah especially for this day & age where NOTHING is healthy anymore... I think a Vegan restaraunt might actually serve that lol

Matt- light in the filter would be no prob. but would it work??

**Cool Idea**-- Drop some small pcs of LR in the filter and have an algae screen... Hmmm I wonder how that would go???
Old 10-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingman8610 View Post
Ok Floyd, what kind of algae is this that does all this? B/c if I put a screen in my tank and grew algae on it, then put it in my filter where the cartridge usually goes... would it do the same things? B/c I've heard that if you drop some peices of LR in the filter and leave the filter(just the meshy part) it actually would do better... So could I do the algae screen thing? would it work the same way?
Ive considered that idea myself. I think you could cut a window out of the HOB and silicone a piece of acrylic to it to make it water tight so you could put a light directly on it. BUT I dont believe it would be large enough to be truly beneficial. Oh and its all the types of algea you see in your tank that will grow on the screen. Your end goal though is "turf algea" wich I believe takes a while to get going on the screen. As mentioned in the beginning of this thread there is a GIANT thread about this idea, with alot of info on another site. HTH. Scott
Old 10-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Originally the filter was designed to grow brown turf algae, which is very tough and you literally have to scrape it off the screen with a hacksaw blade. Over the last 2 years of the big thread, the conclusion has been arrived at that GHA - green hair algae - works just as well, and it grows much quicker, and much easier, and does more filtering. The turf algae will eventually come, but is definitely not necessary with the modernized version. In fact, I've read that you DON'T want it - GHA is easier to maintain.

It needs TONS of light to work right, and airflow also, so the short answer is that no it would not work well in a jury-rigged canister with a window. There are several reasons why it wouldn't, but mainly light, not to mention maintenance - you have to clean the screen every 7 days.

And (cringe) I truly believe that there is someone out there that would consider eating this stuff. Just like there's someone that would drink skimmate. But I think they would have to be drunk and on a dare. I think I am going to throw up now.
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Haahahaha oh wow yeah prolly true though...

Ok cool well thanks for all that, even you floyd with the new diet regimen and all lol
Old 10-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Hey Floyd,
Thanks for showing this to us, mondo cool I've been curious about Algae Turf Scrubbers since reading your signature. I wonder if a system like this would be usable for FW.
taylorodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:32 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes taylorodw ive read it will work on FW. Dont have first hand experience though.

Scott
Old 10-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

The algae competes with live plants so it will not work on a planted tank.

In a FW non-planted tank, it will work also, but the algae needs phosphate to grow, so from what I've read you have to dose Phosphate in FW. Not sure why you wouldn't have to do the same thing in SW.
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmmm interesting floyd

Tags
algae, build, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com