Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

They were pretty awesome to start with, Nitrate was 0 before I removed skimmer, then went up to 0.5 and has been back at zero since about day 3-4. My Phosphate test kit is hosed so I don't know where those sit. What's most important is the stuff you cannot easily test for.

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

This AM:

Finally balanced sump level & Salinity at 35 on the "ideal" line.

The max is for power outage, min is for 3/4" above pump. Really it should be within 1" of the Ideal line otherwise you could swing the salinity big time, so I might mark that up a little. 2.85 Gal/inch of level in a 40B so 5" = 14 gallons which is a HUGE swing for a tank that has effectively about 110-120 gallons system capacity. I'm going to have to train the Doc.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Looks like i am starting to have some growth! Looking a little green!

And this star seems to be concerned about my salinity!

I have seen maybe 2 so far of these little guys.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Seems to me there was something about CFLs saying that you couldn't have them too close to the screen. You may want to read through the FAQs on Algae Scrubbers • Index page.

Too funny about the star! How did he get in there?

Here's the screen today.

Cap is holding fine, flow is good. Having a new problem: the acrylic box is bowing outward on the back so I had to fashion a zip tie safety to make sure the top doesn't pop off if it expands too far. Should have had my Dad put slats on to prevent warping, I didn't think it was going to be an issue but I haven't been able to get in there to put a fan in. I might have to re-design the box. Ugh.

Other tweaks: bubble filter, get rocks out of sump (got in trade for Xenia), replace pump return hose w/bigger one, re-do slot tube...the list continues. Good thing I get paid for this one.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh yeah found out that until I fix the flow problem I can supplement Iron with Kent Iron & Manganese. Should green up the screen. It's yellow because of lack of flow.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:47 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
Might have over looked this...but...Kinda planning out a narrow one sided scrubber for my 55gal, It'll be on top of my canopy and draining into my tank, which will be a FOWLR with a small amount of reef - softies mainly. MY question is... what would be good for a water delivery system? I kinda was thinking a power head and plumbing the output up. Maybe a foot or two at the very max. Has that been done and proven to work or would I need something bigger?
Old 10-30-2010, 11:05 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh yes, definitely. If you're comfortable with it, you can do away with your sump completely and just do a top-of-tank scrubber. In fact, the original design back in the 80s was a dump-style that filled up a container and then dumped it over the screen and into the tank or something like that.

The main advantage to top-of-tank scrubber is that if you have anything that eats pods (mandarin, scooter blenny) there is no pump for the pods to pass through. Also, no sump = less hassle and easier setup. Negative is that you have the scrubber in plain view.

For a 55 you would build it so it had 55 square inches, then build the horizontal dimension so that the screen gets 35 GPH/inch. The problem however with a single-sided screen is that you have to double the screen size so 100 sq in. The other thing to remember is that it's now recommended that you don't put in crosscut in the tube, so with that much water pressure you may get some spray, so you either enclose the screen or build in a spray blocker.

You also run into a space issue on the top of your tank w/respect to where the tank lighting goes. You would only have 6" or so of space in one corner of the tank.

If you have an idea, sketch it up, scan it, and post it and I can take a look at it.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
Let me get it drawn up, and I'll post it in a few hours once I get to work and such. Saturdays are slow and gives me lots of free time. lol.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Crude drawing... but all I have is word lol

Canopy is 49x13x6 - I should have about a 1/2" lip around the tank. I'll take my router and round that off to finish it some. Everything will be poly'd. The box for the scrubber and canopy will have a square hole/drain since I can make that little easier than a circle I'll make it a clear box with a wood holder that spans the canopy so it looks right + make a pitch in the design so water can run off.

Top box(es) are a the canopy, then the scrubber ON TOP. the little square is on top of the canopy and bottom of the scrubber... The drain and supply hole.

One down is the side view. I'll have a 3 inch ledge there.

Plan is to have the full 6inch front panel to swing up for feeding.

I have it like this since I do not have room in my apartment to do much, and the stand I would have to buy or build one for room for a sump as the current stand is not designed well lol.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not sure I'm seeing this right but if it drains directly into the tank would you not have a problem with bubbles?

Tags
algae, build, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com