Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I can't quite figure out how you are planning to set this up based on those drawings.

As far as microbubble go, yes it's something to consider. Hoever if you look at the "myths" thread back on post #9, it may not be much to worry about. There are a couple ways around the bubble issue, with a top-of-tank scrubber it gets limited though.

One way would be to add a diffuser box filled with bio-balls which would catch the majority of the bubbles if it was set up right. The other way would be to set up exit plumbing in a double-U configuration with the up-to-down turn slotted to let bubbles out. I've tried neither as of yet, but will probably do so very soon.

Similar to this

Algae Scrubbers • View topic - Micro Bubble Removers

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gooey

Lots of growth. The areas of green are where it's getting enough flow, yellow not enough. Gotta clean this ASAP, may not get to it until tomorrow though.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:38 AM   #53
AA Team Emeritus

I can't use this (I'm a planted FW guy) but it's just so COOL. this is one of my favorite threads because it's another example of how brilliant natural eco-systems are, and how we can tap into nature's excellence to make really cool and useful things!

This is so vastly superior to mere mechanical filtration + nitrogen cycle. Keep up the good work.
taylorodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the kudos!!!

I was totally hooked the second I came across the mega-thread on Reef Sanctuary. It took me a week to read through it, I wanted to absorb everything I could. I also found it quite interesting that there were many people down-playing the system as a 'fad' or something along those line, saying that it just can't work, etc. The guy that started the thread (Santa Monica) started dozens of identical threads all over the internet and has been accused of trying to sell something, etc. I'm still not sure what his motives are, because he runs a site where he sells his design (and it looks like he's trying to nail down an international patent) as well as gives advice/comments on people's DIY builds. He's been banned, crucified, and run off from many sites, likely because he's pretty brash. I've been a little frustrated with his one-line responses to my involved questions, I have to ask over and over and over to get a question answered, but I think that's because like most people he has a REAL job too, and gets asked a lot of questions over and over and over. Or maybe he's hoping they'll give up on DIY and buy his design. Either way, it doesn't really matter, the concept behind the idea is solid and completely makes sense, as you said, it mimics the natural eco-system.

Think about this - why do you not test for Iron in SW? It's because algae sucks it up right away. Even in a marine aquarium (versus ocean), various forms of algae perform the vast majority of filtration. So why not use that to your advantage?

So with that said, here's what 1/2 of the screen looked like yesterday morning before I cleaned it:

Here's what I cleaned off both sides (just came off with my fingers, no nails)

Mmmmmmm...

And the slot tube, that I need to re-do (to even the slot and get rid of the cross-cuts)

I was in a rush so no time to take pics of the full screen after cleaning. I took off the seed screens and tossed them. It's established enough (I didn't need them at all, apparently)

Also, I bought a jar of Reef Nutrition Tigger Pods and had them add 1/2 to the tank and 1/2 to the overflow chamber. I swished the screen in the DT before cleaning and didn't see any pods (although there might have been some, who knows) but I figured it can't hurt since there's a scooter blenny in the tank. Also got them some Rod's Food, Oyster Feast, and Arcti-Pods to supplement their pellets & cubes.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
Hey floyd, got google sketch and im working to 3d design the model i was talking about.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

I look forward to seeing your idea!

Here's the screen today, 2 days after cleaning

And the sump is getting a bit dirty. This is the reason I was changing out 2 filter socks every week

Old 11-05-2010, 04:47 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2

Right side is the inside, algae screen angles down to another panel that angles to the drain there on the corner all the way down into top canopy area and close to water surface to protect lights.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, now I see what you're thinking of doing. Here's the thing to consider: with a one-sided screen, you have to double the screen size. With a horizontal screen, I think you need to double it also. Which mean you need a screen size 4x that if you had it vertical and lit it on both sides.

So think about this, if you need 55 sq in of screen, that's 10"x5" lit on both sides, 10x10 on one side, and 10x20 on one side and horizontal (which is about what your drawing shows). You could, in theory, make a screen 20x3 or 20x4 with a 24" T5HO on each side as long as you pumped 700 GPH through it. That would probably take up the same amount of space above the canopy. But realistically, it would probably be better to make a vertical screen that was 5" wide and 10" tall with 5x35 or 175 minimum GPH across the screen and lit on both sides. If you think about it, it wouldn't take up that much space if the pump and drain came through the same location in the corner, you could build that into a 5g bucket with holes drilled in the bottom and the lights poking through the sides. But if you're going for aesthetics, and that's the reason for hiding it in above the canopy, then that won't work.

Also, I think your above-the-lighting-canopy idea would have to be guaranteed watertight.

Just some thoughts and things to consider.

I haven't really seen a decent hang-on-tank design. So far they're all sump based, or an unsightly bucket off to the side. I'm sure it's been thought of though. An in/above-canopy design would probably be a new one...
Old 11-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Screen today

I also added 2 tsp of Kent Iron/Manganese the other day. We'll see if that boosts the green growth this week. That was a recommendation from SM due to the low flow / yellow growth.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmm I think I need more lighting on mine and maybe rough it up some more. I cant seem to get as much growth on mine as you have on yours.

Tags
algae, build, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com