Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pic?

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Freak

This pic was the day I set it up I have since doubled the lights and am in the process of adding two per side PC lights with reflectors. I think that will help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	algea scrubber.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	25959  

Old 11-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok just tried to put the PC's in there I dont really have room. I am going to try to move some stuff around tomorrow and get them in there I think it will help alot. BUT if I cant get em in there I will just add some more CFLs to the set up.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of bulbs are those in the pic?

How rough is your screen? It needs to be really rough.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Screen today. Need to clean it tomorrow, that will be cleaning #4

Old 11-09-2010, 04:33 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
Lookin good man.

So... i went back and forth on SW or FW. Since I got powerheads and the lights... i just decided that ive gone past the point of no return for SW lol.

I really want to incorporate this into it though. I do have room under the tank for something small and about 15inches high. I could do 12" High x 20" wide.. and use a rubber maid tub or something for the tank...but I dont know what sort of pump for a return. Got anything used?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big is the tank and what is the total vertical space under the tank?

For a SW tank with an ATS, you want to size the ATS and the pump. What really matters when designing an ATS SW system is the flow over the screen. The flow between the tank and sump is really not that relevant, you want to add powerheads anyways to increase the circulation within the DT. This is especially important for corals, not so much with a FOWLR so it helps to know what you're starting with.

Also, you want to determine well ahead of time how strong you want the scrubber to be.

You generally want 1" of screen per gallon of water. If you're getting fish that are messy, like triggers and puffers, you probably want bigger. a 20x12 screen would filter very well for a 200 gallon system if it was properly lit.

What you are shooting for is a minimum of 35 GPH per inch of screen width. So 20" wide is 700 GPH.

This is where I ran into the problem of flow, a Mag 12 with 4-5' of head should exceed that rate, but since the pump needs to have 2x the diameter output hose of the pump nozzle (3/4") and the bulkhead is for a 3/4" fitting, you're hosed and I only get 433 GPH, which is why I am getting so much yellow growth. I need to double the flow and I don't know if I'll be able to do it. Pay attention to this thread, and read this one also:

Mag 12 and flow rate

as I will be trying to fix the problem soon.

You could also switch the dimensions and do 12 wide by 20 tall and then you would only need 450 GPH.

But yes, a rubbermaid tub would work fine, many people do that. I personally would use a standard glass tank. If you have an outage, then depending on how you plumbed the system you could fill the tub up all the way, and at that point you could risk it splitting because they bow pretty hard, at least the cheap softer ones do. The sturdier hard ones like pond tubs are better but may not fit well underneath the DT, unless you're putting it off to the side then it doesn't matter.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cleaning #4 today. Front:

Back

Thickness

No after pics. Had to replace DT lamps, that occupied me. Check out the difference here:

Tank Journal Ė 125 Reef
Old 11-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
I have a pretty small place to work with under the tank. The dimensions listed are pretty much the max. lol

How much weight do you think a setup for a 55 gal tank would weigh?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Regular

im interested in how you disconnect your supply line/mesh from your piping. without turning your pipe. curious as to what that connection is called you used.thinking about making one similar to yours.

Tags
algae, build, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com