Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Freak

My "mesh" is zip tied to the pipe and I just snip the ties and remove it.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:05 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're talking about the union, a PVC union is two halves, one is threaded and the other is not, and the outside part is a nut that slides over the non-threaded side and you screw it on to clamp the 2 parts together. If you are unfamiliar with what a PVC union is, go to any hardware store.

If you're ever in Des Moines and want to see it in person, feel free to PM me. The tank is in Grimes and I live in West Des Moines.

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice Regular

well i work at a local lowes Ive just never stopped to look at all the pvc fittings we have. I'm usually outside with all the plants. no time to go clear across the store to see what we got
Old 11-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

My screen is green!!!

Here's this week's growth:

11/10 1 day after cleaning #4

11/12 Day 3

11/15 Day 6

Finally!

And I tested Phosphates today - maximum 0.03 on Salifert, which ties the lowest reading I've ever seen on this tank. The other time it was this low was a few days after adding 250 mL of RowaPHOS (which is expensive as all get out) and lasted about 3 months at 0.03-0.10 before slowly climbing back up.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you do anything to increase the flow? Much more green this time than I've seen in the past.

I would have to look back but I could have sworn you said you would only clean one side of the screen at a time but that isn't the case from the pictures...
Old 11-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes, the FAQs on algaescrubber.net say that you should clean one side at a time every 7 days for the first couple cleanings, I caught that after I had done 3 cleanings and asked about it, he said it's not a big deal unless you have a nutrient spike after the cleaning that makes you worry. If you ask me, there's no way I could have cleaned one side of the screen the 1st week, it just rinsed right off. Second week was a bit more, but it didn't start getting to the point where I had to push it off with my fingertips until the 3rd cleaning.

I just did the 5th cleaning, and I had to use the backs of my fingernails to scrape the algae off. It's picked up strength in a big way in the last week. SM's description of the 5-week to maturity cycle is spot on in my case. Here are pics:

Rinsing in tank (releasing pods)

Scraping

Clean

I challenge anyone to eat this.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
Nice! Looks like its working pretty well for you so far.+1 on natural methods. Who needs all those fancy doo-dad's....
Old 11-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #78
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Awesome progress and work! I love seeing a DIY natural filtration method in use and being successful!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This reminds me of aquaponics. So do you end up cleaning it less often in the future or is it still a weekly task? Now that you are scraping it off, it seems time consuming. What if you took a bristle brush to it?
Old 11-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChizerBunoi View Post
This reminds me of aquaponics. So do you end up cleaning it less often in the future or is it still a weekly task? Now that you are scraping it off, it seems time consuming. What if you took a bristle brush to it?
Eventually there will be a thick rough turf - which is more powerful cleaner than what you see above. You'll end up cleaning one side then the other side next time you clean from what I read.

Tags
algae, build, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com