Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok so my first time plumbing skills are no where near my first time carpentry skills haha. I did the best I could though. I'm hoping it will work out. Like I said I won't be able to test it for a few days but here's the pics of it. I may have to shorten the inlet pipe and remove the home made strainer but we will see I guess. Still have to drill the holes in the trickle tower and fill that with media too and I'm waiting for the pump to arrive via mail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1991610741.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	95807

There will be a street elbow attached to the end of this but I didn't have one at the time. Will turn it down into the tower.

Name:	image-2282992894.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	95808

This is where the pump and heater will go. I may grow floating plants here as well. Not sure yet.

Name:	image-4047996469.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	95809

Inlet tube to control water line

Name:	image-415063894.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	95810

There will be a siphon hose here that I'll add later

Name:	image-2995183882.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	95811

Had to use foam pieces to hold it in place.

Name:	image-1047235952.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	95812

Rear view.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also I put a little mechanical filter media I found around the house in the tower and I also drilled the holes through the drawers. First two are mechanical the next three will be biological. Idk if I am going to add a drawer to have an optional chem filtration if I use mess or not. Just have to wait and see I guess.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2125123308.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	95852   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3183287908.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	95853  

Old 05-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Freak

Great thread. I've always wondered how all these DIY filters/sumps are made. I'm setting up a 150g tank and might possibly follow in your foot steps sort of say. I'd like to build my own sump for it and plumb it all myself with PVC rather then flex tubes and over flow boxes.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks and that sounds awesome! When you make the thread lemme know and I'll follow. There are other ways to make the sumps too so u may want to look into that as well. If u have any questions or any DIY projects you want to see then lemme know and I'll see what I can do.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Freak

Will do. I appreciate it
Old 05-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok sweet I got my pump and heater a day early so I'll get to fill the tank up and see if I spring any leaks in my reseal and in my plumbing for the filter! I'm going to buy some flex tubing for the return bc it's just easier and I think imma make a spray bar out of some leftover PVC. I'll let you all know how it goes!
Old 05-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok so good news.... And bad news. The good news is my 5g tank is great and the pump is going to work awesome and the trickle tower is awesome and the stand easily holds the weight of the 40g full.

The bad news:

I need to do another complete reseal of the 40g as it still leaks in a few spots. Lesson is don't shortcut your re-seal.

Second is I think I may need to redo the overflow tube as i don't think it will be quick enough of a drain to keep up with the pump on its lowest setting. Lesson is if at first you don't succeed, try try again. With angry expressions lol.

Third is (and this is the biggest of all) never, and I mean NEVER ever test your resealed tank in the basement! Lesson is to grow some brains! It wasn't a big leak but still wasn't my brightest moment.

So all in all I may be back to square one on the overflow tube but I still have to try something else out first and then I'll give up on it and do a rebuild.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok so I just finished a complete reseal of the 40g. That definately sucked. If it doesn't work this time I'm going to professionals for it. It'll be ready to test again Sunday 5pm central time. Wish me luck!
Old 05-25-2012, 01:45 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdubs2 View Post
Ok so I just finished a complete reseal of the 40g. That definately sucked. If it doesn't work this time I'm going to professionals for it. It'll be ready to test again Sunday 5pm central time. Wish me luck!
Good Luck!

IMO on Reseals Always Take your time, be generous with the Silcone (you can always trim it) and let it cure for 48 hours at a min.

I have been following and I Love good DIY's. You are doing great if a couple leaks is all that goes wrong you are big time ahead of the game.

Keep up the good work
60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Pton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pton46

Good Luck!

IMO on Reseals Always Take your time, be generous with the Silcone (you can always trim it) and let it cure for 48 hours at a min.

I have been following and I Love good DIY's. You are doing great if a couple leaks is all that goes wrong you are big time ahead of the game.

Keep up the good work
Thanks I appreciate it! And ya most definitely took my time the second time around! Only took me like 4 hours to do lol. I meticulously cleaned it this time making sure everything was clean of debris and also I took the rim off this time so I could get it all the way to the top of the glass. I hope it works!

Also as an update for the thread the overflow pipe I made will filter around 220gph so that's at 5x filtration for the tank so that should work well. I said it wasn't flowing well enough before but I figured out why! I had another brain fart and forgot to add the check valve siphon to the overflow area so it was just trickling instead of full blast lol I hope I have enough holes in my trickle tower to keep up! If not that will be an easy fix tho (thank goodness)! I'll be able to try another test out hopefully on Saturday or Sunday after I make sure the tank won't be leaking anymore. Stay tuned!

Edit: Also still need ideas on new DIY projects to try
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3006946772.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	96683   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3784657363.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	96684  

Tags
40 gallon, build, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com