Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster View Post
It will be a closed loop system with copper pipe so I will not have to worry about it... also it's RO/DI water so there is nothing for the bacteria (if it does get into the system and live) to eat thus no multiplying numbers. Also the only way water to get out of the system is if there is a leak. On another note, I got my tank YAHOO!
How much power are we talking about dissipating here? Also, keep in mind that water pumps, peltiers, ect. dont magically make heat go away. It just MOVES it somewhere more conveinient. Unless were talking hundreds of watts, id suggest heatsinks with fans.

If you insist on water cooling, you may want to check out water blocks meant for high power laser diode arrays. They are basically large heatsinks with a bunch of copper pipes inside. You pump coolant through this and a radiator to keep the diodes cool. Ill bet you could make one easily with a piece of aluminum and copper tubing from Lowes/Home Depot.

There are also kits meant for cooling high powered CPUs...
Matt

Old 07-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am buying a slab of aluminum and attaching copper pipe to the top side. The 900W of LED's will be on the under side. Running the pipe under ground is where the heat dissipates. The purpose of using water is two fold.
One: to keep the heat out of the fish room as it will be hot enough in the summer without all that extra heat.
Two: to make it quiet.

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hope you have a whole mess of thermal compound to join the aluminum plate and copper tube.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

a few of these NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound Paste NON-ELECTRICAL Conductive 30 Gram - MX-2T-30G In Canada.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:42 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster View Post
Canada is the biggest country in the world. ...
Our Russian readers would be surprised to learn that!
Old 07-02-2010, 02:57 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

.... okay you are right... I believe that at some point I misunderstood the 83 federal subjects and thought that they were diff countries... I might have even been told that in the past.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:00 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
List of countries and outlying territories by total area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sorry ><

Maybe you're not including Siberia in Russia?

Tags
eat, heat, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com