Am I done for!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlani

Aquarium Advice Addict
Bought a used tank, got it home, started resealing it, found this halfway through.
I have only done the inside seals and was only planning on doing those but now with this chip? Will it weaken the tank? Should I be worried?

Attachments

• image-3806559134.jpg
    image-3806559134.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 191
Ok, so I just siliconed the outside seals too. Here's hoping it holds *crosses fingers*

My 75 looks like it had the crap beat out of it, it has a couple places like that. It never even crossed my mind that it might weaken it. In the span of one year and a handful of months it has been moved and filled 5 times! (moved by people who rolled their eyes while I panicked about them being to rough with my "glass box") No leaks to report.

Bought a used tank, got it home, started resealing it, found this halfway through.
I have only done the inside seals and was only planning on doing those but now with this chip? Will it weaken the tank? Should I be worried?

I have multiple tanks that look just like that and have for the last 20 years. You should be fine.

Oh sweet! Thank you! I have hope that this tank is going to hold. I'm in the waiting period, 72 hours before I can do the "water test". Lol! At least my mind is at ease a little thanks to your posts. (I'm still doing re test outside though) ;-)

I may have missed what size the tank is. But the larger the tank the more I would say its Likely to blow! Due to the weight.

I had a similar issue with a tank recently and was too scared to even fill it !!! Lol it not the water that bothered me, but the weight of the glass if it blew!

Someone suggested using appoxy resin to repair the damage, which would Work on your tank, unfortunately I had serval large chips.

I have seen worse tanks in use, but it always makes me cringe. Not only can you not tell if and when it might blow, but if you ain't there if it does what ever fish you stock with ate a gobbet!!! Which is another reason I didn't repair mine, was to be stocked with expensive frontosa.

Any way good luck with the water test.

That's why I posted asking. I had a 30gal crack on me years ago, what a mess that was! I saved the fish though, thankfully I was home at the time. With this tank I bought it off of kijiji it was posted as a 60gal. When I got it home I measured it and it's an 80gal. I broke the tank down and redid ALL the seals. (paying special attention to that one corner) The chip hadn't extended into the previous seal, and with what I was getting for feedback on here I thought I'd be good. Tonight will be the sure test. I'll be filling it and giving it 24 hours to see if it holds. (in the garage) *fingers crossed* ;-)

Sorry I forgot to post.. It passed the leak test!! YAY! I got caught up in the step after making my own canister. Lol This tank has kept me busy learning that's for sure. Here's a shot of it so far (still needs some more plants, a background ad maybe a new light..lol) My son did the aquascaping.

Attachments

• image-1385878375.jpg
    image-1385878375.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 93
Cool, looks like you are off and running! Glad to see it held up for you. Stocking plans yet?

I had a 46gal running with cardinal tetras (10) raspboras (3) a syno cat and german blue rams (2) that I transferred over. I used the water from the old tank and some from my other tank plus I put the old hob filter in the new tank to get her going. I tested the water before adding them and did the trickle switch for 30-40 mins when I added them. I'm hoping I did it all right. I'm going to let them settle in before I add anymore but yes I do plan on adding. (the tank looks so bare) Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom