Amazing xmas discovery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Intake.and returns.can be piped w pvc. Make sure u put in a valve to regulate flow rates

I had glass cut for my 55 gallon lid for just over $20 with polished edges so no sharp corners at my local hardware store

Also tried plexi first but cost more and bowed underside its own weight

Flipping it counter acts the bowing. Wrks for me lol. But I am cheap...

Why is it so important for a glass top iv never heard of putting one on but you all seem to have one is it really a big deal so far i have hooked up one of the lights to the lid ( its gunna be a slow process due to funds:( i already spent 160 pound on it yesterday), 300 watt heater and a fluval internal pump for now while I slowly work out and build a sump I'll post a pic or two when the substrate settles and who ever fell asleep in the lounge is up lol

philab1709 said:
I had glass cut for my 55 gallon lid for just over $20 with polished edges so no sharp corners at my local hardware store

I'm from the uk and our local hardware stores don't do glass or cut glass for that matter :( I have to find a specific business unless any other uk members around London know any good places ?

I got a tank like that..all neglected and unused and FILTHY! I've had great fun with it! Good luck!

kd puffer...can I use 4 foot fluorescent lights over my 100G tank? I HATE the lights I have. They are not bright enough, and a four foot fixture from Lowes would be far less costly than new bulbs for the hood. Can I use regular fluorescent bulbs and grow plants?

Alot of people use glass tops to keep fish in, keep kids and other pets out and reduce evaporation. All this is achieved plus allowing your light to penetrate if you use glass or acrylic. Also glass and acrylic won't rot when wet. As far as a 4 foot fixture on a 100 gallon I don't see an issue as long as you get the right bulbs. You will likely have to raise the fixture above the tank a bit to spread the light out at the ends. I'm not very knowledgable with what bulbs to use so hopefully someone with more experience can jump in there. I would think getting a four bulb fixture would be the best then you can vary the bulbs.

Ok so I transferred over. One of my twenty gals Into the tank for now while I take time setting it up for Malawis and stuff here's a few pics lol

Attachments

• image-1862199434.jpg
    image-1862199434.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 132
  • image-2800965312.jpg
    image-2800965312.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 130
Puffer u haw convinced me I think I'm gunna start looking into a glass
Top also what's is euro braced lol

Euro braced is in reference to the glass that runs around the top of the tank on the inside. It is a means of bracing and strengthening the tank. More commonly it is braced with a plastic (typically black) trim that wraps around the top of the tank.

Oh so that's the green trim around the top

Nice find Andjak, you are doing this project real justice!

A nice read too.

Well I'm potentially gunna use it to make a massive Malawi or chilid tank

It's not really that massive lol I have a 90g and feel it's too small for my aspirations:( It's looking good though, most of my plants are planted and about 20% stock is in.

Malawis are fish from the lake Malawi in Africa, they are typically very colorful, very active and can be aggressive. I suggest looking online and finding fish you like then posting a stock list in a new thread and people can help you determine what fish can go together so you have a healthy happy tank.

Back
Top Bottom