Amazing xmas discovery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks guys I went to get some new fish today but unfortunate the lfs has them off sale for the third week in a row :( so frustrating as the tank looks so bare lol ... Also I'm starting to get a lil prob with I think it's hair alge and I'm pretty sure it's killing off my live plants which is not what I want at all any tips for cuttin bak on alge as I can't really seem to add any cleanup crew without true Malawis destroying them :( here's a pic of some of the alge starting to grow on everything and my attention seekin crib ahaha

Attachments

• image-768932762.jpg
    image-768932762.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 95
Sorry really bad pic there. It's almost like brown fuzz in longish strands that seem to look dirty it's a bit wierd iv been trying to keep it all clean but I wipe down the leaves of plants or the walls and stuff within 24 hours it's like I didn't do it it's not taken over the tank yet but I think it could if I'm not careful

Ok so I'm sorry to again hijack my own thread but I think this female is holding but she's the first ever ( if u don't count a pair of
Convicts who decimated my tank a few years back ) of the cichlids to breed on purpose what do I expect now and how
Do I go about ensure all are safe ?

Attachments

• image-853378991.jpg
    image-853378991.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 93
  • image-825706815.jpg
    image-825706815.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 71
Yup she's holding, best thing I've found to do is to keep an eye on her and after a couple to three weeks you should notice her starting to eat again. Once she starts eating again she is feeding her fry which means they are fully developed. At this point you have to catch her which is the hard part. Once she is caught have a small bucket and a good sized bowl each with a couple inches of your tank water in them. The bucket is for the female to swim in cause the stripping process can be hard on her so give her frequent breaks. While gently holding the female around the body,with either wet hands or your net, use your free hand to gently open her mouth, finger nail works well to get between her lips. With her mouth held open dip her head into the water in the bowl, you want to submerge her past her gills, then remove her and the fry will wash out. Repeat this till all the fry are out but remember to give her frequent breaks. The other option is to let her spit the fry in the tank which will likely lead to them being supper. Another suggestion is to have a fry tank set up, they don't tend to grow as fast in a breeder box.

Ok so I was thinking a separator seein as its
Such a large
Tank and creating
A fry end but I went to go and check on her as I fed them all and she doesnt seem
To be holding now but still not eating she seems smaller and I can't see eggs in her
Mouth now where
I could see her
Struggling
To hold them all before is that normal or has she rejected them or just coz she's a first timer and needs some practice :( ?

Back
Top Bottom