Amazing xmas discovery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what I figure it's a little over 112 gallons. 15 cubic feet x 7.48 = 112
Odd size shape not standard

You will probably want a couple filter rated for about 100 gallons each, and a couple 250-300 watt heaters. As far as the top goes your putting the canopy over the open top tank? If its a wood canopy your building I would highly recommend glass tops or your wood would likely get wet, twist and warp and it is possible it could contaminate your tank. Glass tops would also help to prevent humidity rusting or corroding the light fixture. Electricity and water is a bad combo. Tops dont need to be glass but a solid material that's transparent, plexiglass for example.

Yenga80 said:
From what I figure it's a little over 112 gallons. 15 cubic feet x 7.48 = 112
Odd size shape not standard

From cleaning it I can see it was a previous self build by my old neighbours so yeah Ur right it's not standard that's also why I gotta build the top myself:) but that's for the calculations my Math is appalling lol

kdpuffer said:
You will probably want a couple filter rated for about 100 gallons each, and a couple 250-300 watt heaters. As far as the top goes your putting the canopy over the open top tank? If its a wood canopy your building I would highly recommend glass tops or your wood would likely get wet, twist and warp and it is possible it could contaminate your tank. Glass tops would also help to prevent humidity rusting or corroding the light fixture. Electricity and water is a bad combo. Tops dont need to be glass but a solid material that's transparent, plexiglass for example.

Thanks dude I totally appreciate the advice do you have any pics of glass tops I don't think I have ever really seen them tbh and I plan to treat the wooden top with water sealant stuff and if this goes horribly wrong which I don't mind ( all part of the noob leaning curve lol) I think I might look at the lights that stand over the tank with no lid if that makes any sense like I say I see very very few open top tanks :(

Alyssa said:
Nice find! Will you try doing a background for this one?

I may if I can afford all the materials after setting this up lol but I keep looking at pics of your background and it's like man that's exactly what I want I mean I would build it In the exact same style only longer lol how do you Mount heaters and filters an what not to the back ?

Cheers red sea and thanks loads to all you guys for helping me out makes this Christmas find less daunting with the info u guys have given me MERRY CHRISTMAS To all of y'all :D.

You could make a DIY sump filter for it. All you need is a large container, like a plastic storage bin and one of those plastic drawer units. Then a power head to return water. You could put heaters in the sump too. There are lots of cool DIY ways members here have used and on YouTube. Makes awesome filter and causes less clutter in tank. You just see pipe in and out... Just a thought.

That's a real good idea
Jeff I think I'll haves be to take a look at that online :) I have seen sumps all over this site but never really understood what they are

Omg lifting that tank up three flights of stairs was a MISSION

Ok so it's I'm my flat this isn't where it's gunna go but at least it's in look like I'm gunna have to clean it again as well * sigh*

Attachments

• image-1608377147.jpg
    image-1608377147.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 136
A sump is a filter essentially. You use a siphon fed intake, possibly an overflow method, and then the water goes in hole in top of plastic drawer system. The draws are filled w media w holes in them. Water goes through all the draws and media and builds up in bottom rubber container. Then the power head or pond pump( cheap at lowes or on eBay) returns water to tank

I may if I can afford all the materials after setting this up lol but I keep looking at pics of your background and it's like man that's exactly what I want I mean I would build it In the exact same style only longer lol how do you Mount heaters and filters an what not to the back ?

I left two spaces in the background for the mechanicals. On the far right is the uptake for the canister filter, behind the tall protrusion. Just to the left of center the outflow from the canister and the heater sit behind a wall that extends beyond the break in the background. So the mechanicals are suction-cupped to the glass as usual. :)

Ok I'm gunna go to the lps and have a look at prices of an internal pump for the 100 gal and there's a wicks (uk lowes) right next door so I'll take a look and compact prices so what do I need to make an intake system ? As what's good materiel and just in general all the pieces I need for a sump bar none lol and if anyone knows every single piece of equipment for building tank safe lights for this like maybe a step by step guide as I'm a student im pretty tight for cash so I cant really afford to mess this up and after looking at my tanks And knowing my local fish shop stock I think I'm gunna turn this into a chilid tank or a community tank, the reason being the tank is so large and they never have enough specific Malawi for it to even make a dent which is a real shame coz they are so beautiful :( and I think I will be making a background for this iv decided but it won't be until I have it all set up so it will be a while I may also try and smaller one first one one of my smaller tanks :) hope everyone had a nice day :)

kelbaker79 said:
Wow! That's awesome!!! Merry Christmas to you :)

Thanks bud I just hope I can do this amazing freebie justice when it's finished

I'm no sump expert but as far as lights go get either a weather proof outside fluorescent light or get a normal one and suspend it over the tank.

If I wanted to run say three bulbs off one switch how would I do that and does that bulb get plugged straight into the plug or is it routed through a box ? I'm confused lol

Back
Top Bottom