Another HOB refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here are some pics of the fuge I built this afternoon. It's not quite finished yet, but it's close enough to see what it'll look like. I had intended to get step by step pics of this thing and I just forgot. Will get it on the next one if anyone is interested in it though.
This one has a inflow compartment to keep the siphon going. Next to it is another compartment that is designed for a carbon bag/cartridge. There are holes in the wall of this one to allow the water to flow through the carbon and into the fuge chamber. Wall is low enough to overflow into fuge if carbon bag stops up. Refuge is about 10" long. Next compart is for the PH that will return water to tank. It could be a little smaller, but I wasn't sure what kind of PH would be used. It's sized to accept a Maxi Jet or smaller PH. As always, ideas, criticisms, and/or observations are welcome. Will be doing a complete DIY sump and overflow setup for a 30g reef soon. If anyone is interested in something like this, let me know and I'll try to detail each step with pics and plans.
Logan J

Great job , is that the first one you built, Im working on a 160 gal tank hoping to finish it by 2003 , ill post some pics

excellant work, you definantly know what you are doing,i'd be interested in an overflow design. im gonna need one for my 20l i plan to set up.

Logan ......... I would be very interested in seeing a step by step fabrication. I'm in the planning and material gathering stages of something similar but to HOB of sump not tank.

I don't really have a frame by frame "how to" on this. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can though. There is another post in DIY of the first one I built that might be some help. PM or email me if you wish and I'll try to help out.

I'll think of alot of questions as I go but one of my first is ........... during assembly do you glue the bottom, ends and 1 side together them put partitions in followed by the remaining side or do you glue the "box" complete then put partitions in??

I glued the 4 sides first. Then glued that to the bottom. You can use a table saw and rip fence to square the bottom edges of the sides if you get them off a little. Then I inserted the partitions and glued them with Weld On #16 (thick). Just put some on the seam and let it run down to the bottom. Stand the sides up and tape them with electrical tape...as tightly as you can. Then glue using the thin glue (#3). If you want a really good edge on the bottom, make it slightly large...glue it...then trim it with a 1/4" flush cut bit in the router. I used the #16 on each inside seam at the last to seal them up...it will fill any little gaps that might be in there. Works kinda like caulking.

im bumping this cuz i wana do a hob fuge but i dont see any pics from logan. Can you repost or give me a link to your pics?

Back
Top Bottom