Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2005, 11:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

have you considered putting the lights inside the hoods?

Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Pseudotropheus acei 'Msuli Point'
Aulunocara stuartgranti 'chipoka'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
DeFeKt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

There are no "hoods"... using those flat glass lids, that hinge in the middle, opening horizontally.

Old 10-27-2005, 11:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

My inspiration for the notching from shelves into corner posts comes from here... http://www.winnipegfishforum.info/ph...highlight=rack

Previously I had not implemented notching between the beams and corner posts. This notching will enable transfer of weight from the shelf beams directly into the corner posts, instead of relying on the screws / wood glue alone.

This would appear to address the concerns raised in the "drafting" pictures above, since weight would transfer from beams to corner posts directly without solely relying on wood glue / screws. Also, the corner post is one complete piece so no worries as posed in the second diagram on how to connect the "legs".
Old 10-27-2005, 11:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

good thinking 99
you'll have to make the shelves wider to allow for the notched setback
Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
Old 10-28-2005, 12:15 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

From a side view (see diagram #2 of the set of 4 opsted together), the entire 3.5" "flat" of front & rear beam of shelf is notched into a 2x6 corner post, creating a flush back and front corner. If you see diagram #1 again (of my set of 4 posted together) the entire 3.5" is notched into the 2x6, and the remaining 2.0" shown on diagram #1 is the inner edge (toward center of side panel) of the 2x6.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:15 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have reviewed these concepts further... about how my 2x4 are laid "flat" ni my shelf concept, thus resulting in a given shelf being 1.5" thick.

It has been pointed out to me by multiple persons that having the 2x4 "on edge" instead of "flat" would result in greater strenght... but would result in each shelf becoming 2.0" thicker... and 3 shelves total (2 for tanks, plus top shelf acting like canopy) would result in net addition of 6.0" to total height, which messes me up...

However, if I could come up with hinge lids that are say, 6" / 12" split for 19" flat glass hinge lid, instead of the standard 9" / 9" split, that would save me 3.0" on each aquarium level, which equals the 6.0" that were added above...

However, this involves making my own lids... I wonder how feasible this is!?
Old 10-28-2005, 12:29 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

perspex, drilled, hinged and screwed, spose glued to the glass.
Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
Old 10-28-2005, 02:03 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

notched side legs are definately the way to go, if you cant use the legs to directly support the load.

that link you provided gives what i would consider to be an appropriate starting design for this situation. but, what gallon size tanks will this be supporting? i ask becuase this may increase your member size supporting the perimeter of the tank, and may also add a requirement for a center support.

~mike
Coralife Lunar Aqualight (4x65W),
60 LB Hirocks Base Rock, 40 LB LR 50/50 Keys/Gulf
150 LB Playsand (~3-4 in DSB)
2 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp, 2 x Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Black and White Percula Clown, 1 x Orange Spotted Blenny, 1 x Red Stripe High Fin Goby
mp3z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:41 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFeKt
You mean like this.

Good point on the weight issue

The problem here is securing the legs into place. You would have to have some sort of a corner bracket or a length on the inside from leg-shelf-leg.

Matt.
You absolutely do not need any brackets, you just have to glue and toenail everthing with 3 inch deck screws, I have a 75 gallon sitting on one right now that I just glued and toenailed the legs to the top and bottom frames.
Because the frames are sitting on top of the legs a toenailed deck screw is more than enough, also i would not use liquid nails, it's not as good as a good quality water proof carpenters wood glue, liquid nails is mainly used for gluing paneling to walls etc.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:59 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have made "Revision 3.b" to my Aquarium Rack, Wood, Two-tier, 50" x 28" shelves. My revised diagrams will be complete by Sunday morning.

I have followed numerous suggestions from users on the forums where I requested feedback to my plans, and the 100% consensus was to build with the 2x4 "on edge," with the 1.5" ("2") sides vertically, and the 3.5" ("4") sides horizontally. This was not obvious to me in the beginning but I now understand why. My new plans are built as such.

Thank you for the feedback so far and I look forward to more of your comments!

Tags
wood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com