Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Any small apartment DIYs? Perhaps food?

I'm not sure where to put this thread, but I have two FW aquariums set up in my small apartment and I have never tried giving my fish live food, so I was wondering if there are any DIY food sources I can make in my small apartment? Are there any small projects I can do in my limited space that will make my fish happier or my life more exciting? I was thinking of starting a daphnia culture somehow...

It would be great if these projects were not to smelly

I have numerous small buckets at my disposal, but no more room for aquariums. I have lots of equipment though!

Any ideas?????

Old 09-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

You could collect mosquito larva! Look for some old stagnant water and just get a couple. It'd be a lot less messy if you like had an eye dropper and a container and collected (and distributed) them that way. I wish I could do that but we spray around my house for bugs.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impolite View Post
You could collect mosquito larva! Look for some old stagnant water and just get a couple. It'd be a lot less messy if you like had an eye dropper and a container and collected (and distributed) them that way. I wish I could do that but we spray around my house for bugs.
Ooooo that made me squirm haha! Ok sorry, silly me.

Is there a chance of passing unwanted stuff like parasites to aquarium fish if fed live food that I did not grow myself?
Old 09-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I suppose....
But I've never had problems like that. You could grow it in your own buckets, just put out water and let it sit and eventually and hopefully there will be larva I guess just don't let anyone pee in it or somethin lol. But they eat it in the wild as fry, so ...
Old 09-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Send a message via AIM to mrbee2828 Send a message via Yahoo to mrbee2828
That sounds like the worst idea ever. I hate mosquitoes!!
Old 09-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Baby Brine Shrimp or White Worms are probably the easiest live foods to grow, but it all depends on how concerned you are with "grossness" (Brine shrimp grow under a bright light so they are very visible, and I believe White Worms are cultivated in your refrigerator vegetable drawer.

A quick search of Youtube can give you great how-to guides on doing either.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vircomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I should clarify - white worms are grown INSIDE a tupperware container inside your fridge. They don't just crawl around in your fridge...

:shiver:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vircomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vircomore View Post
I should clarify - white worms are grown INSIDE a tupperware container inside your fridge. They don't just crawl around in your fridge...

Hahahaa!!!! Thanks for clarifying, I was about to say WHAT?!

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone!!!!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vircomore

White worms??? Are you talking about maggots?
Old 09-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

After looking up whiteworms and getting a little creeped out by their size (im a wuss), I came across microworms. They look so easy to culture! A small plastic container, oatmeal yeast and water is enough. And i think oatmeal and yeast smell wonderful...

I also considered daphnia but it looked like too much work. Im not willing to feed them green water and give them air flow haha! Microworms take up less space too.

I can't think of other ideas. Vinegar worms smell yucky, i don't like them. Grindal worms?

In the winter the mosquito will disappear, so indoor projects would be best.

Thanks to everyone for their comments!

Tags
beginner, diy, food, freshwater aquarium, haps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com