any thoughts or suggestions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tat2shawn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi...
I made 2 plexiglass covers for my 125 but you see the plexiglass is rather thin and after a while of them being on they sagged into the waterline there is or should be about 1/4 of an inch space between the plexiglass and the waterline. I was thinking about maybe using plexiglass splines to
go from front to back, 2 or 3 of them on each to give it more integrity. Another thought I had was to use maybe 1/2 inch or smaller pvc tubing the same way just glue them down I feel that the pvc would be stronger than the plexiglass splines oh the tops are about 16 3/4" X 34 3/4"
Any thoughts or suggestions would help.

Really no suggestions (I'm a DIY failure :( ), but if this is for a reef tank...I highly recommend you go with no tops on the tank whatsoever. The tops will prevent evaporation (keeping the tank warmer), hinder gas exchange and reduce the amount of light that makes it to your critters ;)

reefrunner69 said:
Really no suggestions (I'm a DIY failure :( ), but if this is for a reef tank...I highly recommend you go with no tops on the tank whatsoever. The tops will prevent evaporation (keeping the tank warmer), hinder gas exchange and reduce the amount of light that makes it to your critters ;)

what about dust and other air borne things getting into the tank?
if its covered by the light fixture then what about water splashing up too the bulbs?

what about dust and other air borne things getting into the tank?

They will still get in the tank, to make a tank so enclosed to keep airborne things from entering, you would be suffocation the tank from oxygen ;) Best you can do in either situation is to keep aeresols out of the room.

if its covered by the light fixture then what about water splashing up too the bulbs?

This gonna sound kinda smart alecy, but try not to drop things in your tank. Fish rarely cause splash, and it's not a good idea to incorporate splash in filtration arrangement. I keep a 175W MH light and two PC lights 7-8" from the water surface (with nothing between them and the water) without any problems.

Hi...
I wanted to have some sort of cover. I plan on having it up off the top some so there will be sufficient air flow (gas exchange). And to stop any one from jumping out. Anyone have any suggestions.
tat2sahwn

This gonna sound kinda smart alecy, but try not to drop things in your tank. Fish rarely cause splash, and it's not a good idea to incorporate splash in filtration arrangement. I keep a 175W MH light and two PC lights 7-8" from the water surface (with nothing between them and the water) without any problems.[/quote]

thats true i was just thinking of some of the fresh water fish i used too own like oscars and arowanas and they always splashed, id have a empty tank if it wasnt cover for them, i guess it would depend if its a reef tank or a spieces tank with a big grouper or something cause the grouper at my lfs 24" plus make a BIG splash during feeding time.

my mollies are constantly splashing ... they all rush in to get something they think is food and then a big brawl, water goes everywhere

deff would not want unguarded mh over that tank, but my PC's are about 5" from the water and seem OK... but then again, they only get to about 130°F

If you're concerned about jumpers or things falling into the tank, you can look for light fixture "eggcrate" It is a reflective plastic grid, you should be able to find it at HD type stores in the lighting section. That will allow air to get to the surface and the light down into the tank while keeping fish from jumping and will deflect "some" small splashes.

HTH

You also have to be concerned about non-jumping fish.

I've had several fish that ARE NOT supposed to be jumpers, jump out of the water and ploink themselves against the hood, only to fall back into the water and act as if nothing happened.

Back
Top Bottom