Any way to modify DIY sump in use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keimaxbode

Aquarium Advice Activist
My husband built a sump for me with a 55 gal tank according to plans I found online and it has been working quite well for about 2 months now Unfortunately it was before I had found a used skimmer to add to the sump The one I found requires a 10 x 15 space and mine is only 10 x 12. I am using the center for a refugium. So i have a stupid question - Is there any way to move that divider a few inches to allow enough room for this skimmer? I know I wouldn't be able to silicone it back in but if it is wedged in tight, could that work? Please don't kill me for asking a dumb question.

You might be able to get it to wedge in, but it might not work very well. There is a lot of water moving through there...

Certainly wouldn't hurt to try I suppose. It wouldnt be the end of the world if the skimmer area and fuge area weren't divided... you could just wedge some eggcrate or something in to keep any macro algae out of your skimmer intake.

I recently went through this myself. I just ended up taking my sump out and re-doing it to fit my new Skimmer. Your tank should be fine with just power heads moving water around for a short bit. A sump is nice, but not absolutely necessary.

I don't think my posts done on my cell are coming through. I may be doing something wrong.

I can't take my sump out now that the cabinet is against the wall. It will only come out the back of the cabinet. :(

I think in the end, regardless whether your sump is under your tank or out, you will need to drain the sump in order to make the changes. You can still do this with the sump under the tank, it is just harder to do.

That would have been a great way to do the baffles. Wish I had known about it. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this. I think in just going to look for a different skimmer that will fit the space I have. Can't be picky I guess when I have to buy used. I will still post pics of my sump.

image-566735840.jpg

Attachments

• image-541470187.jpg
    image-541470187.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 83
  • image-1454787453.jpg
    image-1454787453.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 100
Back
Top Bottom