Anybody ever make there own liverock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dylan p

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm trying to find some nice flat liverock with the base still attached but I can't find anything I like. Has anyone made there own liverock? Is it worth it or should I just keep looking

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Actually live rock makes itself. If you add a piece of suitable rock that is sterile to a pile of live rock, the new rock will absorb the bacteria that makes it "live." It takes a few weeks.

IMO it doesn't look the same. Having said that, it might have been the way mine was made. But if you're going to all DIY rock it won't contrast with your other rock so it may look great. I have seen a couple "recipes" that look way better than others so if you do decide to do it make sure you look at all different ways of making it :)

And keep us posted if you do decide to make some! Id love to see how it turns out.

In my reef the new rocks take about 6 months to a year to become indistinguishable from the rocks around them. The visual difference is the organic coatings like algae on the rocks which darkens them. Especially pink algae (coralline).

In my reef the new rocks take about 6 months to a year to become indistinguishable from the rocks around them. The visual difference is the organic coatings like algae on the rocks which darkens them. Especially pink algae (coralline).

Yes I know but I think the OP is referring to homemade live rock made with cement and crushed coral and such. It has a much different texture depending on how it is made.

Yes this rock will be made with a mixture of cement aragonite and crushed oyster shell and will be seeded by my live rock out of the aquarium I'm currently using. And with some additional pieces I might buy. It doesn't look like natural live rock but once it's covered in coralline algae and coral I don't think it will be noticeable. Does anyone have any experience with this though will it eventually fall apart or does it stay put pretty well

This is kinda what I would like to get out of this diy project ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416946841.624512.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416946868.619942.jpg that way I will have shelves for my coral instead of big bulky chunks of live rock. I will also have lots of natural branchy pieces of liverock

Yes this rock will be made with a mixture of cement aragonite and crushed oyster shell and will be seeded by my live rock out of the aquarium I'm currently using. And with some additional pieces I might buy. It doesn't look like natural live rock but once it's covered in coralline algae and coral I don't think it will be noticeable. Does anyone have any experience with this though will it eventually fall apart or does it stay put pretty well

The only issue with making your own rock is that it will probably be more dense and not as open and porous as natural coral rock is.
The number, size and depth of the little pores and micro fissures in live rock is the most important feature to look for as that is what affords it good filtration capabilities.
Good rock for use as "live rock" should feel relatively light for its size which may indicate that it has lots of space internally for bacterial colonization.
Something with the porosity of lava rock would be perfect.

I fear that homemade rock would only have superficial pores and not afford near the total surface area that natural rock does.

The upside is you can cast it into whatever shape or structure you want, obviously.:fish1:

That's why I'm doing it and I believe that's why they put rock salt in it so it's not so dense and will dissolve during the curing proses

I made my first rock last night using some material I had just laying around. The only problem is the concrete I used is a dark grey and the sand I used for the mold was full of rocks so I probably won't use it in my aquarium but I'm hoping that it gives me a better idea of what it will look like. I will get some better supplies this weekend and update my progress probably sunday

Will do I don't think I'm going to on this first one just because I think it's going to be really messed up but when I get some new material I will. I also found a recipe to make it purple so I might try that on one or two pieces. I don't think il use it but I would like to see how it comes out

Will do I don't think I'm going to on this first one just because I think it's going to be really messed up but when I get some new material I will. I also found a recipe to make it purple so I might try that on one or two pieces. I don't think il use it but I would like to see how it comes out

Sounds awesome can't wait :)

I'm interested in seeing how this turns out for you! So I'll be following hoping to have a new idea to play with myself :)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

After a couple failed attempts I've held off on this project. I'll post a new thread when I'm able to let them cure outside

Personally I prefer the Reef Saver Dry Rock from BRS or Aquacave over any alternatives because it's cheap and it stacks together really well. I don't find that the DIY rock compares at all in texture and overall appearance. Just not the same but that's just my two cents. :)

Back
Top Bottom