Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Resealed tank used 2x4 as a temp center brace until I know the tank holds water . After a few days if there are no leaks I will bond the acrylic to the plastic frame to make the real brace. I probably will use the wood also because I like the idea for the extra support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-13454097.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	113398   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2177922937.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	113399  

Old 08-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #12

Better pics . This was easy and cheap. 1 2x4 was around $4.00 I . I cut it to 18 and 6/16 and also cut 3 inch for the part that holds the tank. I used 3 inch screws to hold the wood together. Like I said earlier this is a temp solution until I empty the tank and put on the clear acrylic plates . I do like the idea of the extra support so I will also use this wood with the finished product. I am thinking of making the wood black to match the frame also coating it with a water seal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-387302147.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	113467   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-804245849.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	113468  

Old 08-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
come get me tang police!

It might just be the angle but the second pic kinda looks like its bowing inward at the braces.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

What you did with the wood was exactly what I recommended but with an aluminum strip. Aluminum being more discreet and will never fail.

Careful what sealants and stuff you use on that wood. Most aren't meant to be in contact with aquatic animals and may harm them if they leach or drip from the wood which may be getting wet.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy
What you did with the wood was exactly what I recommended but with an aluminum strip. Aluminum being more discreet and will never fail.

Careful what sealants and stuff you use on that wood. Most aren't meant to be in contact with aquatic animals and may harm them if they leach or drip from the wood which may be getting wet.
Good point. I will do my research For the water seal. Maybe black electric tape to coat it. I may go to the aluminum still. I just didnt get much help at the home depot so I thought of this while I was there for a fast fix just to see if the tank would hold water after I replaced all the old silicone with new silicone . So far it's doing good.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why didn't you just have some glass bracing cut and get a tube of silicone from the LFS? Easy, clean looking, and is repaired as the original tank was intended to be. No worry about trying to seal it (electrical tape a very bad idea), no clunky chunks of wood laying across the tank blocking light, having to always be worked around, etc.... The aluminum will work and will look a lot better without all the negatives of the wood but in my opinion still secondary to the glass.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepomis
Why didn't you just have some glass bracing cut and get a tube of silicone from the LFS? Easy, clean looking, and is repaired as the original tank was intended to be. No worry about trying to seal it (electrical tape a very bad idea), no clunky chunks of wood laying across the tank blocking light, having to always be worked around, etc.... The aluminum will work and will look a lot better without all the negatives of the wood but in my opinion still secondary to the glass.
The reason I didn't to with glass was because my friend did this a year ago with his tank and the silicone stretched and the tank still failed. Like I said earlier I'm going to still look into the aluminum . I have clear acrylic glass 1/4 inch thick that will be bonded to the original frame becoming one piece I just like the idea of the extra support with the extra brace over it. The wood was a quick thing put together to fill the tank. Here are 2 pics of the acrylic that will replace the wood. I am probably going to add one aluminum strip over each piece of acrylic for extra support.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4165873180.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	113487   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3151962767.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	113488  

Old 08-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #18

I want to say thanks for all the feedback up to this point. I getting so many good ideas to keep this tank safe.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy

Do you have a pic of the aluminum so I can look for it today?
Old 08-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #20

Found the aluminum strips you guys were talking about. Here is another pic . The aluminum is much better. As soon as I empty this tank the wood is off and I will silicone the aluminum to the frame. I an still going to bond the acrylic glass on to for support .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2407213219.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	113579  

Tags
frame, glass, repair, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com