Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Smile Anyone know about repairing the center glass on a tank frame.

I just picked up a 125 gallon fish tank really cheap $25. The only catch was the top glass in the center brace was broke. I already know that this tank does hold water so I figured this was a good buy but I am having a really hard time finding a new tank frame for this tank. I was looking for a new tank frame because I was hoping to get one that didn’t require a piece of glass. I tried Glasscages.com and they only make up to a 48 inch long frame. I asked the guy if I can use two 36 inch by 18 frames and somehow seem them together. He didn’t want to be bothered with the question and got me off the phone without giving me any confidence that this is possible. Does anyone have any suggestions or should I just buy a new piece of glass that is the same size as the old one and silicone it back in place.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would ask at a local mom & pop fish store. I got the entire top unit for my 75 at my lfs plus he repaired it for me.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #3

Ok so the LFS told me they can't get a brace for this tank because it's an older model .I took one of the broke pieces of glass off only to realize that the glass was just siliconed to to top of tank under the frame. I thought it would have been attached to the inside of the glass not the top. Does anyone know if this is how it should have been done in the first place?
Old 08-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can't say for sure if that's how its supposed to be done with it being attached to the frame (mine was attached to the glass) but to replace it you can head to a glass shop and get a piece cut for pretty cheap. Then just use epoxy to seal it.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_koi
Can't say for sure if that's how its supposed to be done with it being attached to the frame (mine was attached to the glass) but to replace it you can head to a glass shop and get a piece cut for pretty cheap. Then just use epoxy to seal it.
Was it attached where it was sitting on top of the glass. Or was it attached to the inside of the tank from front to back. Just not sure how long I need to make the replacement glass.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why not just get a length of anodized aluminum and bend it down on each end over the edge of the glass, then silicone it to the top of the tank to keep it from shifting? That would hold just fine as a center brace.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mve1004

Was it attached where it was sitting on top of the glass. Or was it attached to the inside of the tank from front to back. Just not sure how long I need to make the replacement glass.
It was on the inside of the tank butted up against the trim. Just measure the tank from front on back on the inside to see how much you will need
Old 08-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

You can add it inside or on top. On top you are more likely to get a strong connection, as it is difficult to get the silicone between the tank panes and the end of the brace. You could also add two pieces, one on top and one beneath. Use silicone, not epoxy.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD
You can add it inside or on top. On top you are more likely to get a strong connection, as it is difficult to get the silicone between the tank panes and the end of the brace. You could also add two pieces, one on top and one beneath. Use silicone, not epoxy.
I was thinking of using 2 pieces of acrylic and bonding it to the frame so it all becomes one piece . Both pieces are 1/4 inch thick and are 12x18
Old 08-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mve1004

I was thinking of using 2 pieces of acrylic and bonding it to the frame so it all becomes one piece . Both pieces are 1/4 inch thick and are 12x18
Also would help with a place to put lighting for such a long tank.

Tags
frame, glass, repair, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com