Aqaurium top ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bwiz123

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone, I have had a huge issue for a while now with my tank,(150g or so) I cannot seem to find a lid or glass to fit it,. Does anyone have light weight diy lids u made ideas or layouts for me! I also use 4 ft t8 lighting so it sits on top

I bought my 75 gallon from craigslist and it came with a pretty creative lid. The guy had 4 pieces of glass cut for him by a local glass shop, then put plastic trim pieces on the edges and the lid was complete. I broke a piece and had it re-cut for $6 so i'm guessing the whole thing probably only cost around $40 or $50.

You can google "custom glass aquarium lid" and look for ideas in the images search or I can post some pics of my lid if you'd like.

I use eggcrate lighting diffuser for my saltwater tank. It allows you to have a open top without risk of jumpers

Does the salt not damage it. And by eggcrate do u mean the stuff that covers the fluorescent lights in office buildings?

Does the salt not damage it. And by eggcrate do u mean the stuff that covers the fluorescent lights in office buildings?

Yes that is called eggcrate. Its made of plastic so no the salt does not damage it. I even use it to make frag racks to hold new pieces of coral

Eggcrate is nice but I want as less evap as possible , acrylic for thick pieces is expensive , but ill probably just have to deal with it

I'd stay away from plexi if you are setting your light on it. Unless you go really thick you will have sagging issues and some have reported yellowing.

Wow glass is cheaper than that. there is a aquarium builder here that makes lids too and plate glass is 1-3$ per sq foot

I used acrylic from lowes 1/4 in thick and it bows across the span of my 110g tank. It does have a brace in the middle. The worst place was on top of my 30g sump it curled up at the corners. I would go with glass far cheaper

Back
Top Bottom