Aqua clear 110 upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LostInFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have purchased an 110 and a week later it started making noise in the impellar area so I took the siphon tube off and added my fluval 405 to fill the 110 filter and now I have double the filtration with only the one pump running ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414966740.871521.jpg it works awesome I have also used my Fluval 304 on a Aqua clear 70 and it has to be turned down some on the 304 or it overflows the AQ70. But all in all it works great my water is crystal clear and my nitrates are barely there every week. 0 ammonia And 0 nitrites. This is all on my 150gallon tall tank I calculated it out to be 1,140 gph so that's a little over 7 times per hour that the water circulates. 5 times is recommended. So if u have an old HOB filter and a canister try connecting them together to make use of itImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414967360.793928.jpg

I'm sorry but I don't quite comprehend how you can remove the siphon from the 110, only have the 405 running, yet still claim to be cycling that much water. It seems to me, if there's no siphon drawing water into the 110, then that filter is not contributing to your gph flow rate.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Lmao I feel like an idiot u are absolutely correct it just utilizes the media and filter sponge from the 110 it doesn't actually filter extra gph but it does make good use of this filter if u get a bad motor and don't want to replace parts on an already new pump. Thanks for correcting me :) I have a 304,305,404all running... that's 880 gph 6 time turn over. I'm also running through Aqua clear110,70... If I'm pumping 360 gph through the Aqua clears of already filtered water it should increase my filtration by a lot...

Lol, not a problem. It did make me read it a few times to be on the safe side though. As for increasing the filtration rate, I don't think that's possible either. The media is only processing already filtered water so although it sounds good on paper, I don't think it adds up correctly. The Fluval IMO holds more media (depending on how you stocked it) than the AC does. The best way I could give a comparison that I think accurately describes what you're saying is washing dishes in a dishwasher and then taking the clean ones out and washing them again in the sink. That's what I'm understanding anyway. hth.

Sounds about right. I'm just cleaning the clean water but it will catch any debri/bacteria that pass through the canister.. And if u have a fluval u know that when u power it down and loose prime.. Then start it back up again it blows debri really bad an fills the tank with waste every time. This setup allows me to stop that debri from entering the tank.. Either way it can't hurt right

I'm all with ya on the more the merrier, lol. More definitely will never hurt IMO. Curious as to losing your prime though. Is it on the 04 or the 05 series or all of them ? Do you break them down totally each time for cleaning and how often ? I've often heard the 04's tend to lose it but I've never heard the 05's having an issue.

I run a 205, 306, and 406 and have never had a loss of prime issue. I also only open them about every 6 months for cleaning and haven't replaced any media in I don't know how long.

I'm all with ya on the more the merrier, lol. More definitely will never hurt IMO. Curious as to losing your prime though. Is it on the 04 or the 05 series or all of them ? Do you break them down totally each time for cleaning and how often ? I've often heard the 04's tend to lose it but I've never heard the 05's having an issue.

I run a 205, 306, and 406 and have never had a loss of prime issue. I also only open them about every 6 months for cleaning and haven't replaced any media in I don't know how long.

I don't loose prime I'm saying when u open it up and clean it and put it back together it blows out nasty stuff. That's what I meant by loosing prime lol

Also I have a 405x2 304,305,404 and all these will do that when opened and restarted. And it makes a mess in the tank

I like your idea.

it would be especially useful if you had to run carbon or other special media to remove meds or something. You wouldn't have to break the whole canister down to add or remove anything. In the past I've temporarily used HOB w/carbon but felt it wasn't strong enough in the long run and only did it until I had time to break the whole canister down.

I dunno that I buy into the whole dishes in a dishwasher analogy... Water passing through a filter in a single pass doesn't really come out completely clean, especially in the ammonia and nitrite side of things. With other filter systems (oil, fuel, industrial, etc) you see single pass as well as multi-pass performance specs.

Basically, the more passes the water makes through the filter the cleaner it will be. Adding the AC filter to the output of the canister will somewhat help with this. The bigger thing is the colonization of your beneficial bacteria. By providing more area for the BB to colonize you'll enable them to handle a larger bioload more effectively. Granted, either way it doesn't really matter if the AC is self powered or fed by the other filter.

True my intention was to use the AC because the motor took a crap after 1 week also it's cheaper on electric bill with one less pump running

Back
Top Bottom