Aquaponics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pantsnothanks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to start an aguaponics system in my 55 goldfish tank. I have a coral light so I'm pretty set on needed light. But what plants are good for removing nitrogen. And how many do I need to drastically reduce water changes. And is there any aquatic plants I can put in the gravel to help

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It takes quite a few plants to drastically reduce water changes. Just so you know. Also, just a heads up that goldies are often big plant eaters. Many goldie keeps use silk plants instead of real because of this. Though, you can certainly try it out with some hardy, tough plants and see how it goes.
What kind of setup do you have for keeping things out of the water? What are you interested in growing? I am not big into the technical side of this, but I know other people will be very willing to help out too. I have done setups with pothos, peace lily and bamboo. So, I can try to help out some until others can chime in a bit more. :)

I just finished setting up my system last week when I finally went out and got my fish. It's small, a 20gal ft with a 1.5 cb ft grow bed. Right now the nitrates are holding at 40 and I've been feeding my fish on a regular basis (fasting them today).

I have sweet basil, green onions, garlic chives and rosemary in my grow bed. Everything is growing well, the basil showed some iron deficiency so I added chelated iron at 2mg/L which turned my water very yellow. I'm going to leave it for now but probably reduce the chelated iron.

I also have an Amazon sword, java fern and banana plant in my ft. All look to be doing well, I put some diy frozen osmocote root tabs under the sword and banana plant.

Two comet goldfish inhabit the tank and seem to be doing very well.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom