Aquarium backround using epoxy resin/epoxypaste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katar76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I have been doing a lot of reading as far as making your own aquarium background. I have decided not to use cement because of the curing process ( I don't want to waste so much water with rinsing and such )
I have decided to use marine grade epoxy resin or epoxy paste which is inert once dry/cured. I want to add play sand on top of my chosen resin to add texture to the "rocks". I want to shape the rocks out of insulating foam. I was just wondering if anyone on here has worked with epoxy resin or epoxy paste? and if one is easier to work with than the other. Do both bond well to insulating foam? Does sand bond better to one than the other? Has anyone colored sand successfully? I have read all over the web that Krylon Fusion Paint is safe inside the tank, but how well would is cover sand? The tank will be 125 gallon freshwater, any ideas would be a lot of help.:p

I've used expanding foam and black silicone topped with peat moss before. It turns out looking like dirt and stone. You can even place drift wood and stone and spray foam it in. Just apply the silicone in small areas working it into crevasses with rubber gloves, then add dry peat over the top. Brush away excess when it drys and just add water! The peat does add some tanins to the water chemistry but some fish prefer it. I suppose you could use sand instead of peat if thats the look you want. Good luck!

Hey, I'm about to start my own background for a 10 ft long tank. I've found a local supplier of styrofoam that has a version that is slate gray and is more dense, harder. You might look around for a plant in your neighborhood. By the way he is going to sell me a huge piece of the above styrofoam 12 ft x 5 ft x 5 ft for $95.
Good luck.
Paul

Back
Top Bottom