aquarium ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok its like almost two in the morning but I had a major brain storm, I have been looking into building my own fish tank (from scratch) the problem in running in to is that I want to build something unique, so as I was coming back from the kitchen (armed with Cheetos and white chocolate truffles) I walked by my daughters doll house and a lightswitch turn on in my head so fast it almost exploded. So after sitting down and doing some doodles this is what I've come up with. I am going to turn this dollhouse into a fish tank! I'm going to cut extra spaces for windows to see inside the tank and its completely open on the back which promotes easy access to the back of the tank. thoughts, feelings, ideas?

View attachment 86585

View attachment 86586

The Poor Dollys

Did you consult the dollhouse's owner?

:p

How many gallons is it going to hold? And what fish are you thinking to put in it?
Also wont the heater burn the wood? I am not a very much of a D.I.Y person!

Fishy Aston said:
The Poor Dollys

Did you consult the dollhouse's owner?

:p

How many gallons is it going to hold? And what fish are you thinking to put in it?
Also wont the heater burn the wood? I am not a very much of a D.I.Y person!

Well I'm not going to use hers, the dollhouse was bought from hobby lobby it comes in a kit do I am able to build it myself
I think just a 10 gallon would fit in it perfectly, haven't decided on fish. And no the heater wouldn't burn the wood because after taking some measurements I figured a 10 gallon tank is about 12 in and with the hood its about 15 give or take, the house is about 20 in if I don't include the second floor during construction. sorry I had posted the wrong dollhouse here is the one it would be made out of

View attachment 86617

View attachment 86616

Why not just a buy tank which is less hard work e.t.c

Have you ever kept fish before?

I am not the creative type !

Fishy Aston said:
Why not just a buy tank which is less hard work e.t.c

Have you ever kept fish before?

I am not the creative type !

Lol yes I've kept fish before, currently I have a 29 gallon, 2 10 gallons, and a 2 gallon, 29 gallon has guppies and Mollies, 10 gallon is empty awaiting my guppy fry whenever Tilly decides to have her babies. Seems like she's been pregnant forever. I've thought about putting one of the 10 gallons in there instead of building one

Nice little selection

Maybe in the future you move onto other fish.

I dont breed any of mine and if they do they are by accident.

I just like watching a different range of fish live together very interesting.

Fishy Aston said:
Nice little selection

Maybe in the future you move onto other fish.

I dont breed any of mine and if they do they are by accident.

I just like watching a different range of fish live together very interesting.

I wasn't intending for mine to breed, I knew nothing about guppies when I had gotten them so I don't know how fast they breed.
I had goldfish but they were allot of upkeep they are very messy fish

Cool idea!

Are you thinking of the dollhouse as more of a frame to go around the tank? If so you may want to remove the floor or reinforce the floor to support the weight of the tank.

2happyfish said:
Cool idea!

Are you thinking of the dollhouse as more of a frame to go around the tank? If so you may want to remove the floor or reinforce the floor to support the weight of the tank.
Exactly!

I'm going to keep the floor but reinforce it on the bottom plus I have to build the floor up so the tank will sit up higher

Glo fish are genetically modified zebra danios which I believe need more than ten gallons due to their high level of activity, however there are lots of cool nano fish. Take a look at celestial pearl danios or ember tetras. :)

That is an amazing idea!! I hope you succeed in building your tank!

Matt_7689 said:
That is an amazing idea!! I hope you succeed in building your tank!

Thanks! I'll have to post pictures when I decide to do this project, I've got a whole book full of doodles and blueprints of ideas for unique tanks. I've just got to decide which one to start first lol

butterfly_koi said:
Thanks! I'll have to post pictures when I decide to do this project, I've got a whole book full of doodles and blueprints of ideas for unique tanks. I've just got to decide which one to start first lol

I'll be following your progress!! :D

I think it's an interesting idea but i'd seal the wood up really good so mold doesn't become an issue

Back
Top Bottom