Aquarium lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there any way I can get some lights for my aquarium that are cheap, I hate paying 30$ for one light. Is there any object I can take them off or just make my own??? Please help!

Is there any way I can get some lights for my aquarium that are cheap, I hate paying 30$ for one light. Is there any object I can take them off or just make my own??? Please help!

fist off if your tank had dual hood, get ready to spend more than $30. if your tank has a single hood with a single t5 yuor in luck.

if your a DIY guy, you can remove the t5 tabs, and ballast, get yourself at least a 1A 12V DC powersupply, and order some cool white and royal blue led strips and flush mount them on the white plastic where the t5 used to be, i did it with led pods for my 30gal breeder and they make the fish pop.

the entire project cost me about $25 (i had an old 12vdc 800ma laying around) and i already have a soldering station and skills so it helps alot but you can poke and wrap or just t-tap all the way to the switch if you cant solder. GL bud (y)

Okay I just looked at my aquarium hood and am wondering if you could elaborate on what you said, I haven't learned all the aquarium terms quite yet. Here are pics to help you out.

image-3449637626.jpg

image-3818138139.jpg

image-647889493.jpg

Would these work with what you were talking about doing or is it too small?

You can put a couple of Compact Flourescents in place of those bulbs. Get them in 5000K or 6500K, at HD, or a hardware store, or even a place like a department store.

Okay I just looked at my aquarium hood and am wondering if you could elaborate on what you said, I haven't learned all the aquarium terms quite yet. Here are pics to help you out.

View attachment 178701

View attachment 178702

View attachment 178703

Would these work with what you were talking about doing or is it too small?

yes they will, remove the bulbs and black assembly, this is actually way simpler because these bulbs run straight off 110vac and dont need a ballast to operate, keep all equipment in case you ever want to go back to flourescent lighting and dont worry it can either go wrong or right so you have a 50/50 chance lol jk.

remove and clean the reflector vigorously with soap and water then prep with paint thinner until the cloth your using no longer gets dirty, you can adhese them onto the reflector and do all the wiring behind it with the same switch on the hood, or just run your wires out of the hood and just use an inline switch like the ones that come on those creepy motion activated christmas dancing santas, and still use the 12vdc power supply as stated before.

just trial and error bud, its hard to fry leds when only using a 12vdc power supply, you either get the polarity wrong and they dont turn on or theyre gonna come on, make sure your leds your using are the waterproof versions in case you get any fish that like to splash or maybe moisture, good luck and let us know how it turns out!

I sure will! Thank you soo much I'll probably come back at you with more questions, for example, where did you order your LED's from?

honestly, fleabay is the cheapest, you can get a 24" strip of waterproof white and a strip of waterproof blue for about $6ea shipped also look for the 5050 smd leds, theyre way brighter. the prices might have gone up or down a bit, so dont quote me lol but you'll be in the neighborhood of $10ea strip of 24" white or blue (y)

Could I see a picture of yours, if it's an issue that's fine I just want to know exactly what I'm looking for.

i dont have one of that type anymore bud to be honest i have one from my 30 gal and its completely different, try this, remove the bulbs and black housing off the reflector and measure the reflector, usually you can cut the led strips every 1-1/2" so measure it and let me know.

I sound like an idiot what do you mean by pens around 100 +/-?

he means spend more or less around $100 for an 18"-24" led bar, its up to you, i like projects and the saving money part so its all your call, oh and its a PITA in my opinion to find one that 10k white and 460nm blue on TOGETHER at the SAME TIME all of them are usually "night and day" modes, meh..

Well I like projects an don't have money lol I'm 13, the reflector is 10-3/4" Big Tex and Patrickriley2010 thank you but I'm gonna stick with the DIY way.

Back
Top Bottom