Aquarium Safe Adhesives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jman17H

Aquarium Advice Activist
What adhesives can I use for equipment that will be in the tank and not have any effect on water?

I am sick of how my penguin powerheads very very poorly attach with a single suction cup and I am planning on modifying them so they actually function without being a royal pain half the time.

please recommend a few readily available adhesive choices to me.

Thanks

Silicone, but it needs to adhrere to a dry surface... and cure for 24 hours

maybe the suction cups you are using are just not good suction cupts... after a while, i notices that mine lose their elastic nature and start to fail... whats why i look for those suction cups at the dollar store that have the plastic hooks going through the holes... i simply remoce the hooks and mount the cup with cable ties to what i want to hang...:)

Most suction cups will fail after awhile. Didn't your penguin power head also come with a tank clip to hang it off the side?

I really do not consider silicone an adhesive. It is not strong enough in my opinion and is just sort of a sealer or position/placement holder.

Penguin powerheads are just poorly designed with only one suction cup placement or the worthless rim attachment piece. There is a reason that most everything in the world has at least 2 points of attachment. Stability. The suction cups work fine but just one is inadequate!

I would love to be able to use JB Weld but will that be aquarium safe?

Not sure why you think the rim attachment is worthless, I've used the same PH for over 10 years without fail using the rim attachment. I do have the cord under the attachment which keeps it quiet though. Do you not want it at the surface?

As for JB Weld I assume you are talking about Water Weld which would work fine but be a bit messy and hard to remove if needed.

Other options are under water glue & Algae Free Sure Grip.

silicon does hold i had a huge piece of driftwood wounldnt sink so i siliconed it down it would take a hammer to remove it. also iv put silicon on my heater suction cups it works fine they dont move and are held tight and i cant pull then off the glass now. silicon will work fine for your power head

Jman17H said:
I really do not consider silicone an adhesive. It is not strong enough in my opinion and is just sort of a sealer or position/placement holder.
While silicone is not a great adhesive for plastics, it certainly is for glass.

Back
Top Bottom