Aquarium seam repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolando96

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need to repair the the seams because the water leaks alittle into the frames on one of the side. Cant i just put another layer over the old silicone or do i have to take the silicon off that one side or do i have to replace the silicone all over the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

To do it correctly you should strip all the old silicone and resilicone to bare glass. However, depending on where the leak is at, I have just siliconed over an area on a top corner seam and it worked fine.

I wouldn't do that on a leaking seam in the center or near the bottom of a tank.

You need to remove the seam that is leaking, clean the glass thoroughly (I used vinegar) and reapply the sealant. Use tape and a tongue depressors to keep the seam neat. Silicone will not adhere to old silicone. Be absolutely sure that the silicone is aquarium safe. GE Type 1 is preferable or some type of sealant that is labeled as aquarium safe. No colors, additives or mildew inhibitors as they will kill your fish.

Well i used the permatex rtv silicone. And i took off the old silicone from the bottom corner of my tank. And i added the new silicone. So how long do i have to wait till i cam refill the tank and test it

Well i used the permatex rtv silicone. And i took off the old silicone from the bottom corner of my tank. And i added the new silicone. So how long do i have to wait till i cam refill the tank and test it

Sorry for the delay - been at the beach this past week. It should be ready to go if you havent already. The time usually depands on how thick the silicone is. A thinner layer will be ready in 1 - 2 days depending on humidity. A thick layer like you would see on corners I would let sit for 4 - 7 days to be sure it was totally cured,

Back
Top Bottom