Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Aquarium seam repair

I need to repair the the seams because the water leaks alittle into the frames on one of the side. Cant i just put another layer over the old silicone or do i have to take the silicon off that one side or do i have to replace the silicone all over the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
come get me tang police!

To do it correctly you should strip all the old silicone and resilicone to bare glass. However, depending on where the leak is at, I have just siliconed over an area on a top corner seam and it worked fine.

I wouldn't do that on a leaking seam in the center or near the bottom of a tank.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

You need to remove the seam that is leaking, clean the glass thoroughly (I used vinegar) and reapply the sealant. Use tape and a tongue depressors to keep the seam neat. Silicone will not adhere to old silicone. Be absolutely sure that the silicone is aquarium safe. GE Type 1 is preferable or some type of sealant that is labeled as aquarium safe. No colors, additives or mildew inhibitors as they will kill your fish.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Well i used the permatex rtv silicone. And i took off the old silicone from the bottom corner of my tank. And i added the new silicone. So how long do i have to wait till i cam refill the tank and test it

Old 09-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando96 View Post
Well i used the permatex rtv silicone. And i took off the old silicone from the bottom corner of my tank. And i added the new silicone. So how long do i have to wait till i cam refill the tank and test it

Sorry for the delay - been at the beach this past week. It should be ready to go if you havent already. The time usually depands on how thick the silicone is. A thinner layer will be ready in 1 - 2 days depending on humidity. A thick layer like you would see on corners I would let sit for 4 - 7 days to be sure it was totally cured,

Tags
air, aquarium, pair, repair, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com