Aquarium Software... (Monitoring / Control)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Verbalkint

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, being a software engineer, and all, I have decided to re-create the wheel.

There are a ton of Aquarium Management software packages out there, but I just don't like the look and feel of most of them, and the others don't have all the features that I want..

So, starting this evening, I will be creating my own application suite for Aquarium Maintenance.

What I am looking for here is some ideas of what people would like to see in such a beast.

I already know the basics, such as water parameters, etc, graphed over time, but what other bells and whistles would you people recommend?

Provided I can get enough SDK's as well, I am considering adding 'plugin' capabilities, for things such as digital thermometers, refractometers, etc etc.

I created a decent Excel file for aquarium maintenance, but stopped using it. All my levels were flat over time making for pretty boring graphs (but very happy fish).

Wow.. Not too far off.. That's the 1st platform I am developing it for... I have a Toshiba Pocket PC. ;-)

I'll keep you guys updated as I get it going then. ;-)

Software wish list

Great project wish I had the programming talents.....If I could add my wish list ? to the normal functions:

I assume it is going to keep history for the data. If it was kept in a simple file structure it would allow us to Import a "flat" text file with time date and data so that the history could be populated from other than just manual input.

I would like it to calculate CO2 as a function of Ph and KH.

I use an Excel spreadsheet. And I only power off my PC's during lightning storms or if I go on vacation, so waiting to boot isn't an issue.

Now if you could only make a USB probe that would measure temperature, pH, NO3, PO4, GH/KH, etc and record it to the software automatically.

if you work on a Probe, email/page you if parameters go beyond a set limit.

Back
Top Bottom