Aquarium stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocean

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm moving and tore down my 40 gal breeder, and notice the left top of the stand is coming apart. The aquarium sits on the top edge, open top. How do I fix this? The stand was bought new and is less than five months old! The few people I talked to are not fish people and suggested only gluing it. I really don't think that will hold up in the long run.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120107_185550.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120107_185550.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 145
  • ForumRunner_20120107_185641.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120107_185641.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 141
Glue it and clamp it tight untill it dries. The glue is stronger than the wood.

Try maybe drilling enough so the head of a screw will go deeper than the wood then fill it with wood filler or something like that and touch it up with some paint

I would start with a call to the store where you purchased it from and the manufacturer. if no luck I would glue it, run a 2x4 from side to side. predrill the trim (countersink) and screw to the 2x4. run screws from the trim into the end of the 2 x 4 and also do some on the side. finish with a wood plug stained to match. also check the other corners. JMHO

Glue, screws and 2x4's all sound like a good idea! I'll call the store Monday and see what they say first. Thank you!

So, you can drill an aquarium stand? I've always heard to never drill it because it will make it weaker (this is just what I've heard from around fish shops). This is why I never put shelves in my 36g's stand.

Use a good glue and a clamp. If you dont have a corner clamp, a ratchet strap could work if you put something on the sides to protect your finish. I've always been fond of Gorilla Glue in a case where I dont mind a little overkill (like this). It's water proof, so if you're as messy as I am when I do a water change the droplets wont slowly eat their way into the glue.

And I wouldnt drill... if it's a fiber board or particle board or any fake wood... its really essentially just cardboard packed really really tight to make it strong. If you drill into it, it's sacrificing integrity to that board, and you could end up with a lean over time.

doberman15 said:
Use a good glue and a clamp. If you dont have a corner clamp, a ratchet strap could work if you put something on the sides to protect your finish. I've always been fond of Gorilla Glue in a case where I dont mind a little overkill (like this). It's water proof, so if you're as messy as I am when I do a water change the droplets wont slowly eat their way into the glue.

I did talk to my brother that lives out of town, he will fix it for me when he's up for a visit. And the stand is real wood. I know he will repair it the right way, not a hurry up fix it anyway job! And yes I tend to slop some water when doing a water change. :)

New problem with my stand. Finally got the corner glued and nailed back in place. BUT now the side trim in buckling in! The corners arent, the buckling in is in the middle. I contacted the company where I bought the stand and was told they can't do anything. I am so fed up with this stand I could throw it out the window! I WAS planning on filling the tank and starting the cycle this weekend, quess not! I know it's probably no big deal but wondering what else will go wrong once I get water in it. Anyone I have talked to { not fish people } seem to think it's not a big deal. Not so sure about that! Here's a picture.

ForumRunner_20120326_181113.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120326_181022.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120326_181022.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 75
Back
Top Bottom