Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aquarium stand

I'm moving and tore down my 40 gal breeder, and notice the left top of the stand is coming apart. The aquarium sits on the top edge, open top. How do I fix this? The stand was bought new and is less than five months old! The few people I talked to are not fish people and suggested only gluing it. I really don't think that will hold up in the long run.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120107_185550.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	69417   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120107_185641.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	69418  

Old 01-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Glue it and clamp it tight untill it dries. The glue is stronger than the wood.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Try maybe drilling enough so the head of a screw will go deeper than the wood then fill it with wood filler or something like that and touch it up with some paint
Old 01-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
rav
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would start with a call to the store where you purchased it from and the manufacturer. if no luck I would glue it, run a 2x4 from side to side. predrill the trim (countersink) and screw to the 2x4. run screws from the trim into the end of the 2 x 4 and also do some on the side. finish with a wood plug stained to match. also check the other corners. JMHO
Old 01-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Glue, screws and 2x4's all sound like a good idea! I'll call the store Monday and see what they say first. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

So, you can drill an aquarium stand? I've always heard to never drill it because it will make it weaker (this is just what I've heard from around fish shops). This is why I never put shelves in my 36g's stand.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Send a message via AIM to mrbee2828 Send a message via Yahoo to mrbee2828
Wood glue and clamps with a square block inside is all you need. It'll be stronger than before.
mrbee2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Use a good glue and a clamp. If you dont have a corner clamp, a ratchet strap could work if you put something on the sides to protect your finish. I've always been fond of Gorilla Glue in a case where I dont mind a little overkill (like this). It's water proof, so if you're as messy as I am when I do a water change the droplets wont slowly eat their way into the glue.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

And I wouldnt drill... if it's a fiber board or particle board or any fake wood... its really essentially just cardboard packed really really tight to make it strong. If you drill into it, it's sacrificing integrity to that board, and you could end up with a lean over time.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberman15
Use a good glue and a clamp. If you dont have a corner clamp, a ratchet strap could work if you put something on the sides to protect your finish. I've always been fond of Gorilla Glue in a case where I dont mind a little overkill (like this). It's water proof, so if you're as messy as I am when I do a water change the droplets wont slowly eat their way into the glue.
I did talk to my brother that lives out of town, he will fix it for me when he's up for a visit. And the stand is real wood. I know he will repair it the right way, not a hurry up fix it anyway job! And yes I tend to slop some water when doing a water change.

Tags
aquarium stand, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com