Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

it would definately be a better option compared to particle board. if you were to seal it i wouldnt see a problem. the issue with particle board is it is basicly just a cardboard like material so it soaks up water very easily and once that happens it falls apart.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:41 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't use chip board or plywood (from my own personal experience) neither material holds up well to the wet or weight. I used four by four posts for my legs and two by fours for supporting braces and then ran two by twos across for the bottom and top. I then "prettied" it up by using crown molding around the seams. I also made sure to seal all the wood before I put it together. That unit was made over 20 years ago and is still solid!

Old 01-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani View Post
I wouldn't use chip board or plywood (from my own personal experience) neither material holds up well to the wet or weight. I used four by four posts for my legs and two by fours for supporting braces and then ran two by twos across for the bottom and top. I then "prettied" it up by using crown molding around the seams. I also made sure to seal all the wood before I put it together. That unit was made over 20 years ago and is still solid!
The whole stand is built from 2x4's. 2x4's will be supporting the tank as well. The chipboard will just be over the top of the 2x4 frame..

Finished project. Hope the real thing looks better, lol

Old 01-26-2012, 12:56 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Chip board is the same thing as particle board. The process in which it's made is glue and sawdust. It swells up and becomes similar to the texture of wet drywall. Plywood is the same only they use large thin pieces glued together. I wouldn't use it anywhere near moisture for it won't hold up to time. Just trying to save you some heartache down the road.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Chip board is the same thing as particle board. The process in which it's made is glue and sawdust. It swells up and becomes similar to the texture of wet drywall. Plywood is the same only they use large thin pieces glued together. I wouldn't use it anywhere near moisture for it won't hold up to time. Just trying to save you some heartache down the road.
so should I just put the tank right on the 2x4 frame?
Old 01-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could run one by twos across the bottom, it's for a 20gal? I'll show you a picture of what I mean.
That's the bottom of one of my stands. Or you could (if you're on a tight budget) take the top of an old solid wood table and cut it to size? I don't know what tools you have access to or how much work you want to put into this though? Or if you really want to get creative use tile board and tile the bottom and top to match?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2702122107.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	73179  
Old 01-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

One idea I had but I didn't give it a whole lot of thought to perfect it was to use concrete backer board on top of plywood then lay down ceramic tile on top of the concrete backer board. I think it might work because it would be similar to a shower wall in a bathroom. One the down side it might be costly to build.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i think I'm going to make a platform out of 1x2's. It'll help raise it up a bit too. The whole point of this stand is so I can watch my fish while in bed, lol. I have BAD insomnia and somehow they relax me enough to sleep some nights I know, sounds weird.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Doesn't sound weird at all! I completely relate to the calming effects of the tanks and the fish. Make sure if you do the one by twos that you include braces in the middle underneath too. That will help structurally. If I were you, I'd check out my local lumber store, flooring store or counter tops and see what they have for "cut offs" or discontinued tile. Who knows you could walk out with a beautiful piece of granite or marble for next to nothing
Old 01-26-2012, 01:26 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Doesn't sound weird at all! I completely relate to the calming effects of the tanks and the fish. Make sure if you do the one by twos that you include braces in the middle underneath too. That will help structurally. If I were you, I'd check out my local lumber store, flooring store or counter tops and see what they have for "cut offs" or discontinued tile. Who knows you could walk out with a beautiful piece of granite or marble for next to nothing
Its funny you should mention that. I have a piece of marble counter top buried in my garage. I bet it would be just the right size to make a base from.

Tags
aquarium stand, build, stand, stand build, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com