Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2005, 06:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think a live webcam of someone else's SW tank could be a dangerous thing at work, considering I can stare at mine for hours at a time.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 06:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

This is somehting that I think might work. Someone I know has a new born at home and has to work during the day. The wife gets to stay home and take care of the little guy. He set this up so that he could be at work and log into his home computer and catch some of the action. Not sure how you would go about linking it into your webpage but now you'd be able to at least capture the video. It shouldn't be too hard to tie a DNS into an IP address that the router assings to the camera, but I'm no expert!

http://www.mytelus.com/homesitter/display.do

40lb LR
2 (1m/1f) Percula Clowns
Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 06:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh, so my webspace doesn't matter - I would need some other type of internet storage?

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 01-31-2005, 12:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey here is a simple solution.

I use the internet to talk to my family i switzerland per videophone. Just hook a webcam to your computer, download the yahoo messanger, give it a sign in name, stream the video and make it available to everybody (if you want). then go to the office, get a different sign in name, connect to your other sign in name and watch your fish
swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

oh let me know if it works if you go that rout.
I want to see your fish if you let me.

All you can loose is $40 bucks for the web cam
swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:06 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Of course I'd let you

but I can't check outside e-mail at work, so I doubt I'd go that route. But who knows, if it's my only option...

Thanks for the tip!

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 02-06-2005, 05:23 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've used a piece of software called Kabcam in the past. You can set it to take a snapshot with your webcam at a rate that you decide. Once a minute, once every 5 minutes, you put in any rate you want. It will automatically publish to an internet site if you set it up for that also. I know there are TONS of other programs that do the same thing, some better than others, but this is the only one I have experience with. In the least, it will give you an idea of what is available out there. Last I checked, they had a free download, but it comes with limitations. Not a bad start jsut toget an idea of how it all works.

She left me before we met.
youronlysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 01:02 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can tell you that most Creative Labs webcams will come with software that'll do an auto image update every X number of seconds. I used to run one outside my window, pointing at the driveway, so I knew when my wife got home from class so I could call her from work. It kept up to a dozen 'previous' images in a web page it auto-generated. That was with a $25 webcam, so you can only imagine what else is out there for a few dollars more.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:34 AM   #19
smc
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to smc
Aquarium WebCam

Several existing www services lke YAahoo both e-mai & their geoCities accounts (which are free & can be upgraded); Lycos-Tripod & MSN -- provide bandwidth & webspace for still & video webcam hook-ups. I'd try one of those (if your use is not commercial) .. or buy a home or office computer with space for you & the webcam's processing capacity and memory & internet service - or you'll alternate. In the latter case .. your home or office computer's hard drive is the memory storage .. which also means another otion is a small (domain-host style) additional computer for the camera alone.

All the above is why I'd probably use a www service provider's free or purchase offer of space & bandwidth. (Of course the data originates from your aquarium webcam).
Old 02-18-2005, 08:25 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to penguinsix Send a message via MSN to penguinsix
I use a program called WebcamXP. It uses your computer as a server so you don't have to pay the price of another host. It is constant stream, the qualaty depends on the cam and the max upload speed of your connection. You can check mine out at www.penguinsix.uni.cc It is down now, but I will put it up for yah.

2.5 gallon nano -3lb of LR, 3 LBS of LS and some Caulerpa prolifera and a trumpet coral and some xenia.

29 gallon - getting ready to cycle.
penguinsix is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com