Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2005, 02:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aquarium Webcam

Not sure what topic this should fall under, but I want to put a webcam on my 125 SW aquarium and stream video to my website. It would also be cool to monitor temperature, pH, salinity, sump levels etc and post them to the internet - but first things first.

How would I do this?

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:45 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Wow Monarch...great idea! You would definitely need a high quality cam. The majority of webcams are pretty limited in picture quality, especially for streaming video. Once a decent cam is found, it's just a matter of mounting it in an area to capture the view you want.

Do you have an existing video program on your computer now?

(edit)

This link can provide some helpful info

http://www.vitalstream.com/

Old 01-28-2005, 02:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have absolutely nothing right now except for webspace. I'm just trying to wrap my arms around what would be involved (costs, equipment, programs, webspace).

I don't want to wrap up a bunch of money only to find the best I can do is update the picture every 5 minutes or something. I want it to actually be LIVE action footage with a decent, clear picture.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 01-28-2005, 04:43 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

actual LIVE feed, meaning full motion video, will be costly. You'll need a computer with a full time internet connection at your home with the camera and software hooked up and always running. You would then need the ability with your web hosting company, to allow you to feed full time datastreams through them as web traffic. I think most hosting companies will have fairly high prices for this. But look around, theres a LOT of stuff out there, there could quite possibly be a way to do it without streaming, may just be delayed
Old 01-28-2005, 05:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyZ
You would then need the ability with your web hosting company, to allow you to feed full time datastreams through them as web traffic. I think most hosting companies will have fairly high prices for this.
****, I knew there was a catch. Maybe I'll check into a refresh rate of every 10-15 seconds or something. It's not the same, though.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 01-28-2005, 05:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Usually the refresh rate is one picture every 5 seconds, I tried to do it before but I didn't have the patience.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:36 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Monarch
Maybe I'll check into a refresh rate of every 10-15 seconds or something. It's not the same, though.
It's certainly not, but it is MUCH more feasible. There are a few free-ware programs out there that will do exactly what you're looking for. You put their software on your computer at home (the one the cam is connected to) and it drives your camera and maintains an "open" ftp style connection to your web server and upload an upaded pic every X seconds. Your webpage then just shows that image with a lill javascript to update the image every X seconds. Thats all there is to it really.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cool, maybe I'll give it a shot. My connection at home is cable - lightning fast.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 01-28-2005, 05:51 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

then you should be able to accomplish fairly easily.

One question... can people "hit" your home computer from the web? If so, you may still be able to do the streaming thing. Not all cable ISP's allow this, is why I ask.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't know enough about it to know if they can "hit" my machine directly or not. Are you asking if I have a server?

I'm challenged when it comes to computer hardware.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com