Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-05-2004, 12:58 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Aquatec booster pump pressure switch

Hi all, I got a pressure switch for my booster pump so it would kill the power when I shut the valve off.

I got the RO unit and booster pump from Aquasafe and the switch from AquaFX. Of course the plugs were different so it was not just plug and play. I cut the the ends of the wires and hard wired the connections. The wires on the switch were all black and the wires on the pump are red and black. I have hooked this up every way I can think of and when the switch is wired in, the pump will not turn on.

Is anyone familiar with this switch? Is there an in/out for the water lines that would keep the switch from running? There did not appear to be any specific direction marked on the switch. If I had the wires crossed, could this have burned the switch up?

I have water running through the switch with no problems but the wires are unhooked right now.

Any ideas?

ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 02:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
i am having problems finding the switch you mentioned, could you plz provide a direct to link to it, then i might be able to help.

JProx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 04:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Here is a link that shows the pump I have and the switch. I could not find it on Aquafx website but I did order it from them.

Old 08-11-2004, 09:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Well, I swapped the water lines to see if this would make a difference and it did not. So I guess I fried the switch or it is not compatible. I don't think it is the latter since my pump is the same.

Doubt I will experiement with another part even though it was only $20...
Old 08-11-2004, 10:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
As i have very little info on the hardware, i hope these basic info will help.

1. Check the type of electric the hardware require (direct current or alt current), the 6800 above use DC source. Check whether the other use DC or AC.

2. For black an red wire, black is ground, red is live. This is applicable for DC source.

3.If both is DC the check the voltage requirement, the 6800 white color power adaptor will have X volt written on it. make sure both have same volt.

vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
POWER: Pumps operate with low energy (only 14 watts), low voltage (12-24 volt) motors, powered with compatible transformers with world wide primary voltages available (100 VAC, 120 VAC, 230 VAC). Transformers are optional and must be ordered in addition to the pump.

This is what I found at the link above. Low voltage it appears is 12-24 VAC and not DC. The word transformer says that it is AC by all practices that I know of. If it would have said Power Supply, then I would assume DC instead of AC. I would check with the mfgr for the exact type of current.

Now if you are using the PSW switch they are showing. I believe based on the information that it is a normally closed switch and works from Pressure of the water going through. A switch if it is mechanical will switch any "rated" voltage based on the amount of "rated" current the switch can handle. Again I would contact the mfgr for the specs on the switch.

125 Gal-35 Gal Wet/Dry-Tetra-Tec PF500 HOB Filter
(3) AuquaClear 301 Powerheads-600 GPH Circulating Pump
Automatic Tempature Controller
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:25 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
I will look at it tonight to see if any specifics are on the pieces. I got the booster pump and power supply from Aquasource but the switch from Aquafx. I think both pieces are aqatec though.

Thanks for the replies.

*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com