Aquatium safe paint and sealer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowryder

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking at doing a DIY styrofoam piece. I was wondering what type of paint and clear sealer should be used?

Im not sure on clear sealer but KRYLON FUSION is an aquarium safe paint.

If you use Krylon Fusion, let it air dry in a warm room for as long as possible before putting it in the water. At least a week is best. I have some items in my tank that only dried for 24 hours, and they are losing chips. But other stuff that I let dry for a week are holding up much better in my ponds, despite more active fish and higher water flow. Just a suggestion...

...and I would test any paint on a scrap of foam, first. Not sure how Fusion reacts with foam. There are some really excellent threads here on DIY backgrounds, many of which use colored concrete, not paint.

Yep, i agree with the Krylon Fusion. I was also told that this spray paint is aquarium safe once it is fully cured.

don't mean to hijack the thread, but what order should you use the sealant and paint?
cover the foam with sealant, then paint it?
other way around?
or would the krylon fusion act as a sealant and negate the need for silicone?

I dont think silicone is going to work... The concrete seems to work well from what i've seen... i have read that it will raise the ph significantly for a few weeks, so soaking is pretty much a must (if its small enough for a toilet tank, thats a great place to soak it... water change every time you flush :) )... what are your plans for this piece?

i can confirm this much:

GE Silicon 1 is safe.

Behr Masonry and Basement waterproofing paint is safe

Krylon Fusion is Safe

I have 3 amazon puffers in a tank consisting of all of those and they're perfectly fine. puffers are even more sensitive than most fish.

I dont think silicone is going to work... The concrete seems to work well from what i've seen... i have read that it will raise the ph significantly for a few weeks, so soaking is pretty much a must (if its small enough for a toilet tank, thats a great place to soak it... water change every time you flush :) )... what are your plans for this piece?

This piece is going to be 'new jersey meets tacky tank'. I am looking to carve a nuclear power plant out of styrofoam. Something post meltdown. Stocking with glofish a black light and some blacklight paint.

This piece is going to be 'new jersey meets tacky tank'. I am looking to carve a nuclear power plant out of styrofoam. Something post meltdown. Stocking with glofish a black light and some blacklight paint.

Can't wait to see this!!

Maybe you could add some glass cats? Keith Richards? (It's been reported in some circles that he already survived a nuclear meltdown.)

Back
Top Bottom