Are cinder blocks really ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SoveriegnR

Aquarium Advice Regular
Going to be starting up a 20g Long tank soon... and I really don't want to spend a ton of money on overpriced tank stands, but I don't possess the skills to build my own (let alone the equipment to do it properly).

I see a lot of videos and such of people using cinder blocks to support their tanks. Is this truly safe for the tank?

right right, yeah i forgot to mention that. I'd get a semi-thick slab of wood and lay it on top of the blocks to make a 'shelf' for the tank to sit on.

I have a 29 on cinder blocks. I didn't use any plywood, just a 2x4 in front and back, the tanks weight rest in the 4 corners, just support those.

With bigger tanks obvi not a 29 or 20 not supporting the middle of the rank is not a good idea at all. I suppose with it only being a 20 just cinderblocks would be fine

Hey fishdude3233, check out aquarium co op, corys YouTube channel, he has from 29's to 40 gallons resting on corners only. All the way up to 75 gallons, as long as all 4 corners are supported center stand bracing doesn't matter, it's all about where all 4 corners fall.

Hey fishdude3233, check out aquarium co op, corys YouTube channel, he has from 29's to 40 gallons resting on corners only. All the way up to 75 gallons, as long as all 4 corners are supported center stand bracing doesn't matter, it's all about where all 4 corners fall.

Interesting only reason I say is because I had a 90 give out on cinderblocks, might've been a faulty tank I suppose

I had a 120g supported by corners only for 3 years.
My 180 is supported on corners only for last 10+...
NEVER had a problem.

Interesting only reason I say is because I had a 90 give out on cinderblocks, might've been a faulty tank I suppose

Everytime I hear about a tank giving out I go home and check my 55's stand. Ive been going back and forth on breaking it down because of this reason (among another). 55 gallons as a "hey surprise" when walking into the house is a TERRIFYING thought!

I know my stand is solid but Im always afraid of the bottom of the tank itself just deciding to shatter.

Everytime I hear about a tank giving out I go home and check my 55's stand. Ive been going back and forth on breaking it down because of this reason (among another). 55 gallons as a "hey surprise" when walking into the house is a TERRIFYING thought!

I know my stand is solid but Im always afraid of the bottom of the tank itself just deciding to shatter.

I feel ya my 55 was my first tank and to say me and my mom over engineered the stand would be a complete understatement.

I had a 120g supported by corners only for 3 years.
My 180 is supported on corners only for last 10+...
NEVER had a problem.

dang @_@ if that doesn't sooth some worries I don't know what will. Here i'm worried over a 20g and you're over there like "yeah.. i have a 180 on corners only -brushes off shoulders-" lol

I always wondered how the bottom glass supports all that weight!
Its already raised off the ground about 1-1.5 inches and most stands (mine included) are basically open bottom. Im always stressing that the bottom will literally just go "oh well" and come flooding down, substrate and all.

Here you guys are just supporting the corners!

95775-albums14649-picture71338.jpg

This is mine built out of all 2x4 and 4x4 construction and still my stomach turns at the thought, but Im a paranoid mess!

95775-albums14374-picture71342.jpg

this is the skeleton, everything around it is actually removable where the first piece holds the next etc. I built it so I could get under it and work easier and so when do crazy trims and water changes I could pull the pieces off so they wont get damaged or soaked.

The glass is way stronger then most think....
I have a rack with 8@20 and 4@15 that only supports the short end of tanks.They are all lined up 'shotgun' 4 per level.I can look though the bottom of the middle and top tanks..It isan interesting view...
Watch this video if you are at all still nervous ...

dang @_@ if that doesn't sooth some worries I don't know what will. Here i'm worried over a 20g and you're over there like "yeah.. i have a 180 on corners only -brushes off shoulders-" lol

Watch that video above and rest well your tank should not just fail without reason....I have never had a tank just brake...I have over 1,000g now and spilling water is my biggest worry!:whistle:

Tanks are designed to redistribute weight to their corners and down, I've always known that, and it makes me wonder why I'm still always paranoid about the bottom just shattering and being like "welp..." lol

Tanks are designed to redistribute weight to their corners and down, I've always known that, and it makes me wonder why I'm still always paranoid about the bottom just shattering and being like "welp..." lol

Same here (although excellent info above) - possibly as my neighbours, friends and fish shops seem to delight in passing across old stories on tank glass cracking, edge leaks and general explodes.

An older tank with FAILING SILICONE can be a disaster, I doubt the stand would make much difference. I look my tanks over pretty regularly for any silicone pulling away from the glass during WCs. If I have even a little concern of a tank it's getting drained. I'm betting a lot more floors have been flooded by someone using a tank with flaws that needed resealing than by a stand supporting the ends of the tank.

The only time I've had a tank fail, back panel cracked in half. The bottom brace is silconed to all 4 sides making it a solid unit, the bottom panel, as bandit mentioned, can take some weight it appears. I think you'd do more damage having it improperly supported in the middle vs sides. Putting stress in the middle is what would crack glass imo.. and twisting, that's what mine did..

so would it be best to just get... say 6 cinderblocks (3 for each side of the tank) as opposed to 9? (3 for each side and 3 for the middle) to avoid any pressure on the middle of the tank if say the center blocks just a little bit higher than the outer blocks?

Back
Top Bottom