Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-02-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
Are puffers okay for my tank??! Please help :)

Hello. I would like some south american puffers (I like weird freshwater fish) and do not know how aggressive they will be. I own 5 neon tetras, 2 platys, red tetras (serpae tetras) 2 botia loaches (they are quite inactive, occasionally nip fins, nothing too bad) 3 zebra danios, and a marble danio. I really want a puffer, but don't want to disrupt the peace. Please explain if i can add a SAP. Side note: I am 11 and don't have much money to experiment, so I would not like to risk adding one if they are aggressive.

P.S: Could you please reccomend an oddball for my tank that are compatible with my fish? (A shrimp, less aggressive puffer, eel (Not peacock, i've had several to no success </3)

PleaseHelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
1) all those fish would be dinner as the puffer grows
2) the puffer would not survive in a fresh water tank as the puffer you speak of is brackish

Fish are like lifesavers
They come in different colors

54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Not a chance. Dwarf puffers are the only freshwater puffers I'm aware of and that's going out on a limb. Puffers are territorial and love to nip fins.

ADF are a good peaceful oddball.

ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
The SAP is a true freshwater puffer, just to clarify. And this thread was posted twice, the OP has decided against puffers and is looking for other suggestions.
lindenthaler.9 is offline   Reply With Quote

puffer, puffers, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com