Are you thinking of a black background??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used flat. I let the back of the tank get covered in algae anyway, so for me it isn't important. I just didn't want to see the wall and wires and stuff.
As far as completely covering the tank, That may effect your ph more than you want it to. you may be able to attach a long air hose to the skimmer and put it out a window or in the other room maybe.

Explain your air hose to the skimmer comment. You kinda lost me there.

I am currently in the process of painting a piece of plexiglass and plan on sliding it behind my tank. Then attaching it to cabinet and top of setup. I'll keep you posted how it comes out.

I am currently in the process of painting a piece of plexiglass and plan on sliding it behind my tank. Then attaching it to cabinet and top of setup. I'll keep you posted how it comes out.

Just not sure if I want it black or some other color.

Explain your air hose to the skimmer comment. You kinda lost me there.
The air hose that's on the skimmer now is pulling air from the room and mixing it with water from your tank. This is aerating the water as well as removing nutrients. While painting the tank, if it was completely covered and you got a long piece of tubing and let the skimmer pull air from outside, or at least another room, it would be a big help. People do this with outside air to raise their PH.

The air hose that's on the skimmer now is pulling air from the room and mixing it with water from your tank. This is aerating the water as well as removing nutrients. While painting the tank, if it was completely covered and you got a long piece of tubing and let the skimmer pull air from outside, or at least another room, it would be a big help. People do this with outside air to raise their PH.

Thank you for explaining that. I will definitley do that!

I tried gloss, satin, and matte... never could tell a difference because the glass always made it glossy from the front of the tank.

I'd think some of the 'baby safe' low DOC paints would be the safest bet for a tank with fish in it... but I'm not sure that there wouldn't still be some cause for concern.

I tried gloss, satin, and matte... never could tell a difference because the glass always made it glossy from the front of the tank.

I'd think some of the 'baby safe' low DOC paints would be the safest bet for a tank with fish in it... but I'm not sure that there wouldn't still be some cause for concern.

Did you use regular latex paint?

Just picked up two pieces of black poster board at Wal Mart for two bucks and used some clear packaging tape to hold in place. Looks like a painted back panel from front of tank with half the time and effort.

Just picked up two pieces of black poster board at Wal Mart for two bucks and used some clear packaging tape to hold in place. Looks like a painted back panel from front of tank with half the time and effort.

Very nice! My only problem is my tank is full and 36 inches from front to back so my fat arms can't reach all the way back there. Lol

Went with the store bought black background it's a little shinny for my liking mat would be better but I still like how it looks. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391375459.857405.jpg

The trouble with that is if it gets wet, you will see the water marks.

Did you use regular latex paint?

No.. I was never a fan of rolling paint on because I used a magfloat, and the texture didn't work out very well with it.

I found, after painting several tanks, that the cheap spray paint from walmart worked the best. A few coats and it looked great. Didn't scratch easy at all, but came off with relative ease using a razor blade (on the sides and such, because I never taped it off).

No.. I was never a fan of rolling paint on because I used a magfloat, and the texture didn't work out very well with it.

I found, after painting several tanks, that the cheap spray paint from walmart worked the best. A few coats and it looked great. Didn't scratch easy at all, but came off with relative ease using a razor blade (on the sides and such, because I never taped it off).
When your using spray paint, do you need an undercoat or something else for the spray paint to stick to??

I used krylon gloss black for mine a week ago, it took 2 cans but I over did it a bit. When painting it, you have to make sure you clean the glass extremely well

This was the prep part. I taped everything off and made sure no fumes could get in the tank and I taped off the trim.
ForumRunner_20140205_104343.jpg
Sorry flash sucks but that's after

ForumRunner_20140205_104832.jpg

I used krylon gloss black for mine a week ago, it took 2 cans but I over did it a bit. When painting it, you have to make sure you clean the glass extremely well

This was the prep part. I taped everything off and made sure no fumes could get in the tank and I taped off the trim.

Turned out good. I always end up going the spray paint route also. Never have been disappointed with the results and have some tanks over 20 years done this way.

Has anyone tried painting a Matt black background on a tank with a betta in it? I have always wanted a black background ( or even dark for that matter) but I have a betta who flares at even dark spots in my tacky picture scape background. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have the back of all of my tanks painted black,adds depth in my opinion.The beta shouldn't have a problem...

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom