Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I used flat. I let the back of the tank get covered in algae anyway, so for me it isn't important. I just didn't want to see the wall and wires and stuff.
As far as completely covering the tank, That may effect your ph more than you want it to. you may be able to attach a long air hose to the skimmer and put it out a window or in the other room maybe.
__________________

__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
jjh302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 346
Explain your air hose to the skimmer comment. You kinda lost me there.
__________________

__________________
jjh302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Jimbo C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 138
I am currently in the process of painting a piece of plexiglass and plan on sliding it behind my tank. Then attaching it to cabinet and top of setup. I'll keep you posted how it comes out.
__________________
Jimbo C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Jimbo C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo C View Post
I am currently in the process of painting a piece of plexiglass and plan on sliding it behind my tank. Then attaching it to cabinet and top of setup. I'll keep you posted how it comes out.

Just not sure if I want it black or some other color.
__________________
Jimbo C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjh302 View Post
Explain your air hose to the skimmer comment. You kinda lost me there.
The air hose that's on the skimmer now is pulling air from the room and mixing it with water from your tank. This is aerating the water as well as removing nutrients. While painting the tank, if it was completely covered and you got a long piece of tubing and let the skimmer pull air from outside, or at least another room, it would be a big help. People do this with outside air to raise their PH.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
jjh302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
The air hose that's on the skimmer now is pulling air from the room and mixing it with water from your tank. This is aerating the water as well as removing nutrients. While painting the tank, if it was completely covered and you got a long piece of tubing and let the skimmer pull air from outside, or at least another room, it would be a big help. People do this with outside air to raise their PH.



Thank you for explaining that. I will definitley do that!
__________________
jjh302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #47
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
 
mfdrookie516's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winchester, Ky
Posts: 19,410
I tried gloss, satin, and matte... never could tell a difference because the glass always made it glossy from the front of the tank.

I'd think some of the 'baby safe' low DOC paints would be the safest bet for a tank with fish in it... but I'm not sure that there wouldn't still be some cause for concern.
__________________
-Jonathan

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
jjh302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
I tried gloss, satin, and matte... never could tell a difference because the glass always made it glossy from the front of the tank.

I'd think some of the 'baby safe' low DOC paints would be the safest bet for a tank with fish in it... but I'm not sure that there wouldn't still be some cause for concern.

Did you use regular latex paint?
__________________
jjh302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Jimbo C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 138
Just picked up two pieces of black poster board at Wal Mart for two bucks and used some clear packaging tape to hold in place. Looks like a painted back panel from front of tank with half the time and effort.
__________________
Jimbo C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
jjh302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo C View Post
Just picked up two pieces of black poster board at Wal Mart for two bucks and used some clear packaging tape to hold in place. Looks like a painted back panel from front of tank with half the time and effort.

Very nice! My only problem is my tank is full and 36 inches from front to back so my fat arms can't reach all the way back there. Lol
__________________

__________________
jjh302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
black, background, black background

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.