Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-26-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Ato diy project

I have a 55 gallon European Reef setup with no sump or refugium. I have had my set up for 3 years now. I would like to set up an automatic top off system. that's something that vacationers is like to have so that they don't have to worry about evaporation when they're gone. Can someone tell me what is needed, and what do I need to do to accomplish this? I would like to thank anybody in advance.

sent from my Boost Mobile Moto G using the Aquarium Advice mobile app

55g Reef Setup: 2 Percula Clownfish,5 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs,1 small Kenya Tree Coral,1 Toadstool,2 Yellow Sponge, and 1 Firefish.
sanchezkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

HI there. I am in same boat<or Tank> if you will>. I have so far found you need a Electronic float switch from hardware store or ebay, I have saw for around 3 bucks. then you also need a small pump with in the specified head distance, again 3-4 bucks on ebay . Next a tub or holding tank<s>of sorts . I have 2 , one for RO water to fill to 22L from my RO unit, and then a 3 dollar pump is hooked to a float switch set in the second bucket <Same Size, Walmart, both for 15 bucks>. set at 22L, then another 3 dollar pump heading to my Main Tank attached to yet another float switch and that float set to the lvl I want to keep tank at. Then you need an overflow , DIY on u tube with PVC easy peasy for just one tank. I took this pic off another site I had read. HE said it is ok to use his knowledge. Then just time the flow from tank with ball valve so your water leaving the tank is same as what is coming in. VERY IMPORTANT. Put a quarter inch drill hole about another quarter inch below desired water lvl in case of Power failure even if this design works with out having to re-siphon I do not trust it . Of course if just a auto top off I would use the smallest PVC Piping, or instead of 2 intake like the design I would just use one. The only issue is The salt mix in second bucket before it goes to tank. I was thinking I will see if I could use a old Auto Fish feeder and somehow rig it to dump the salt in daily but 22L is around 3- 4 cups . I am stuck there so far hehe. Research a bit on you tube there is alot of Designs and FLow rates etc. I found this the easiest and simplest. Just the salt adding who or what will do it to keep salt content in tank. Otherwise just straight RO water is going in which salt lvl will drop in a few days. Hope that starts you on your way .

Miggy is offline   Reply With Quote

diy, diy project, project

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com